What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire Question

gvgoff99

Well Known Member
I recently purchased a Aero Classic Leakguard? tube from AC Spruce. The valve stem came out at a 90 degree angle. The problem is that it was an "L" shaped 90 degrees. This did not allow for a non-stressed alignment of the valve stem with the opening in the rim. The tube that was removed was also at a 90 degree angle from the tube but it had a curve in it similar to a "?" (question mark) that allowed for alignment of the stem with the opening in the rim without putting stress on the tube or the stem. Are there any suggestions for what to order to get the "?" stem? I ordered the 500X5 tube. Thanks

Try Desser

Hi George,

If you go to Desser Tire, they have the Michelin Air Stop for $52.25 each in 500x5 size. I went to those shortly into my flight program with the -8 when I needed a new tire. I was initially using the Van's-supplied tires and tubes, and was having to add air every couple of weeks. When I pulled them apart, I discovered that the tubes (from Van's) WERE the Leakguards (!), so I decided that an additional few bucks for the Michelins wasn't that bad, based on other's recomendations. And....everybody was right! I now add air maybe once every three months - oh, and the valve has the "j" shape you're looking for. Desser is considerably cheaper on these than ACS.

Paul

Valve Stem

Paul, Thanks for the link. I will call them and ask about the valve stem. The ones they have pictured are a 90 degree bend and called a TR-67 valve stem. I don't know what the valve stem I have on mine is called but it is shaped like a "?" with the Schrader Valve at the "dot" end of the "?" The stem exits the tube, of course, at the very top of the "?" which makes the stem exit the rim 90 degrees to the tube. It is just like the T-67 valve with an extra curve.
The curve in the stem allows it to exit the rim in good alignment with the hole in the rim and not place any stress on the stem or tube. The TR-67 style which is more "J" shaped (Schrader Valve at the top of the "J") does not curve tightly enough to align the stem with the exit hole in the rim without a considerable amount of stress on the stem and tube. It seems like an invitation to a failure of the tube.
This was probably a "clear as mud" explanation. If I remove a wheel again I will take a picture so I can save 1000 words. :) Thanks, George

No, that's clear to me George, because I have exactly what you're talking about! At least I'm pretrty sure that's what's on the tube....I haven't seen it for quite awhile now...

Paul

I just bought new tires and tubes from Desser and they suggested Leakguards when I told them I wanted Airstops. I'm not happy to hear that they don't work :mad:

Back