What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ASI/ALT gauges with EFIS?

Stephen Lindberg

Well Known Member
Soon I will have to commit to cutting metal for my panel. My plan is for two big Dynons, left and right sides, for flight and engine data, respectively. I am 99% sure I will always be VFR only. I purchased an ASI and ALT to be placed left and right of the Dynon, but now I am having second thoughts about the necessity for round gauges. They are friendly and familiar but for VFR why bother with the weight and space? So, for those of you flying behind glass (I have never flown a glass cockpit) is the transition to glass intuitive and painless, or will I be struggling to get used to the digital/tape presentation of airspeed and altimetery? For those of you with both old and new, which do you look at? Have your habits changed with experience? My inclination is to take the plunge and leave the round gauges out. I'd appreciate other's insights. Thanks, Steve.

Just a data point for you: I have the Dynon, as well as steam driven airspeed, altitude, VSI. I tend to use the Dynon for attitude and airspeed, but my eyes tend to favor the round altimeter and VSI. I think its easier for me to quickley interpret the needles instead of process the numbers changing on the Dynon.

Glass and Round Gauges

I was a 1500+ IFR non commercial pilot who had never flown round gauges before going an all glass three screen GRT system in my RV-10. It took a little time to get used to all the bells and whistles but no problem at all to transation to the altitude and airspeed tapes. I like them a lot better now. They also fit real well in the scan of the EFIS.

Once you get used to the glass panel you will probably find that if you put in round gauges that they are wasted for VFR. If you have totall due glass, each with a separate AHRS you don't even need the round gauges for IFR backup.

I have a dual screen dynon setup (EFIS D-10A plus an EMS D-10). I elected to go with a mechanical ASI and altimeter. The reason? In the event of a total electrical failure I still have those two instruments. Of course this is a somewhat muted point with the battery backup in my EFIS. Also, if my EFIS dies I'm still legal to fly.

This was my rationale...the greatest things about these airplanes is that you get to make the decisions. There's no right or wrong in much of this stuff...it's just whatever you want.

Back