What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Powered tip up canopy

Just a stray thought on a snowy day.

How would one modify the tip up canopy to make it powered, with the goal of making it less subjectible to wind damage when open, and to eliminate the rope used to close it ?

Regards,
Mike Stephenson

My first thought is weight and point for failure.
Rope? Been flying mine for 14 years, I don't got no stinkin' rope.

Mel said:
My first thought is weight and point for failure.
Rope? Been flying mine for 14 years, I don't got no stinkin' rope.
Lubbock is rope country. Ropesville, TX is just down the road a little. :p

Sorry for off topic: I agree with Mel: keep it light & simple.

Last edited:
Light and Simple

I agree, light and simple is best. Still worth talking about.

How do you close the canopy when you are sitting down without a rope.

You got Ropesville right. Exactly 2 miles north (to the foot) of Ropes, I just finished building a lighted 3000 foot buffalo grass runway.

Regards,
Mike Stephenson

photoadjuster said:
I agree, light and simple is best. Still worth talking about.

How do you close the canopy when you are sitting down without a rope.

You got Ropesville right. Exactly 2 miles north (to the foot) of Ropes, I just finished building a lighted 3000 foot buffalo grass runway.

Regards,
Mike Stephenson
I just reach up, catch the side rail, release the hold-up rod, and lower the canopy.

Dayton Murdock said:
Hi All
Will the flap actuator develop enough power to push a canopy open?
Do you plan to put one on each side? One in the middle? I don't think you want to push just one side up.

yes you can

We have a acro-pilot at our airport (Goodyear AZ) and he designed and built his own acrobatic single seat and it's incredible.
He doesn't have electric start but he has a electric opening tilt up canopy.
He used something that moves electric seats in a GM car. It works really well and would be make jumping out much easier. I would have electric start first :)
Robert Ruggles RV6AQB "TOO BAD"
Surprise AZ

POWER TILT UP

photoadjuster said:
Just a stray thought on a snowy day.

How would one modify the tip up canopy to make it powered, with the goal of making it less subjectible to wind damage when open, and to eliminate the rope used to close it ?

Regards,
Mike Stephenson
I built a power lift with air rams from Granger. The idea was to power it with a small air compresser. The kind that fits in a glove box. The ram attached to a bracket mounted above the rudder pedal bearing blocks and forced the canopy up by pushing on the front of the frame.

Hit the button, the canopy raises to max extention and stops. Hop in, nothing in the way. To close the canopy you just bleed off the air and watch it drift down. You could even use a remote..... really cool!!

The main thing about the air is you could always overpower the system if it ever FAILS!!! You could lift it by hand and also lower it too.

Then I changed my mind and said KISS...... so now it is all in a box on the shelf and I am back to building it simple and light. Wow! that sure ate up some time.

You should have no problem reaching up to the flange to pull the canopy down. Use vans struts, they work just fine.

Warren

This is why Van does not have a forum

Oh Boy, Van's Pocket protector is spinning. :eek: Go up to him at an airshow and suggest a powered canopy. he he he he

gasman said:
I built a power lift with air rams from Granger.

Then I changed my mind and said KISS...... so now it is all in a box on the shelf and I am back to building it simple and light. Wow! that sure ate up some time.
That is why people say stick to plans, to deviate adds time, money and usually weight.

Last edited:
Back