What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 makes a stealth visit to Independence

Bob Brown

Well Known Member
Pic of RV-12: http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5051/rv12020ot9.jpg

Ken Krueger flew the RV12 to Independence, Oregon on Saturday for a presentation at the EAA292 chapter hangar. We had about 80 people in attendance at the meeting and Ken put on a Powerpoint presentation and then took questions from the audience for awhile. We all then went outside and clambered in and around the airplane. I'll have an article posted on http://www.eaa292.org by the end of the week with lots of pictures.

Ken was peppered with questions, all of which he answered pretty directly. There were questions about EFIS's ("which do you prefer?"), finished airplane cost, engine selection and operation, flight characteristics and performance, build time, whether or not it should feature foldable wings, etc.

The question of the day? "When will it be ready?" Ken indicated he thought they'd have something to sell by the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2007. They have made some recent mods; a landing gear change, re-propping, etc. It is still a proof of concept in that (I think) they have not finalized everything.

One of our members who is 6'2 got in the cockpit and closed the canopy. There appeared to be at least 4 inches of clearance over his head.

All in all, a perfect day!

Thanks to Ken for spending his Saturday with us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. Looks like things are progressing nicely for the RV-12.

What were some of the answers to the questions of projected build time, ect.

Thanks for the report

I was going to build a 9-A as my first project but will now most likely build a 12 instead. The real deal maker is the removable wings and portability of the 12. That feature alone will make it feasible for me cost wise as hangers are really expensive in my part of Southern California. Also, doing maintenance at home is very desirable. Thanks again for the report.

E. D. Eliot said:
I was going to build a 9-A as my first project but will now most likely build a 12 instead. The real deal maker is the removable wings and portability of the 12. That feature alone will make it feasible for me cost wise as hangers are really expensive in my part of Southern California. Also, doing maintenance at home is very desirable. Thanks again for the report.

E. D., your a perfect candidate for the -12 and its unique (for Vans) feature. Removable/folding wings is nothing new to the industry and not a feature thats 'mandatory' for the aircrafts owner to ever implement. It simply offers an option to those that need it that would otherwise preclude them from owning their own aircraft.

I'm not sure foldable is right

I believe the wings are removable, not foldable. I know there are no connections to make at the wing root though, kind of a ball and socket arrangement for the flaperon connection. Also note the RV12 does not have lights, so there is no wiring connection. There are handles installed at the wingtips to facilitate handling.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5149/rv12030tv2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
cat bait?

My wife thought our cat would love that plane and all the yarn strips blowing in the breeze...

I understand they have been shooting video from the rear mounted camera at the yarn strips, and perhaps from another plane as well.

Bob Brown said:
I'll have an article posted on http://www.eaa292.org by the end of the week with lots of pictures.
Bob - could you bump this thread when you get a chance to update your EAA website?

Also - incredible project with the Nieuports. Did they all get flying?

Looking forward to reading more and seeing the pictures! Thanks! dj

"thread bumper"

Hey dj...

The eaa292.org website is updated with the RV 12 visit as of tonite. Sorry about the delay!

Bob

No need to apologize. Great writeup. Thank you for taking the time to bring this info and the photos to us.

Thanks for the field report.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for writing up such a detailed report. The pictures are great too. Thanks for those also.

This will serve as my RV12 news and info fix (i can usually go a week before i start jonesing again :rolleyes: ).

I like what I'm hearing so far (+10 kts for non-LSA), and I'm pleased they are trying to make it as build-friendly as possible.

I'm also happy they are aiming to keep it right around the $50k mark. That will go a long way in ringing up sales and keeping with the premise of "affordable" aircraft ownership and maintenance.

Thanks again for the field report.

The -12 sure looks like a neat little bird...I agree with everyone that it will be another huge success for Van.

I can't wait to see it once it's done with testing and painted. I read in the report that they're not going to do any fairing of the gear legs...I hope that they at least put wheel pants on it. I think that wheel pants and a paint job will make the airplane look a lot better :)

Thank you for the update!

SweetJellyDonut said:
This will serve as my RV12 news and info fix (i can usually go a week before i start jonesing again :rolleyes: ).

I like what I'm hearing so far (+10 kts for non-LSA), and I'm pleased they are trying to make it as build-friendly as possible.

I'm also happy they are aiming to keep it right around the $50k mark. That will go a long way in ringing up sales and keeping with the premise of "affordable" aircraft ownership and maintenance.
I agree with your comments.

I am wondering how many kts. will be picked up by adding wheel pants in addition to the non-LSA prop? Any engineers out there care to make a rough guess at what pants will do for a 120 - 130 kt. aircraft?

dj

Back