What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder

Thomas Wruble

I'm New Here
I'm fitting my rudder and I find that -

#1: I'm going to need to finish fitting the bottom fiberglass fairing because I'm pretty sure it's going to interfere with the fuselage skin when it gets anywhere near to 35 degrees and may interfere at 30 degrees. Did you fit your rudder and stops with the bottom fairing in place?

#2: To get maximum rudder deflection, I believe I would have to file away some fuselage skin to keep from binding with the rudder, or continue to back out the rod ends to move the rudder further aft to provide a bigger gap and thus more clearance with the fuse skin. The rudder is definitely not tucked in like the elevators. This is especially true at the bottom where the leading edge of the rudder is not anywhere close to a half circle. I suppose if the binding were only at the bottom, removing some fuse skin would be preferable to backing the rudder away from the vert stab. So far I've already backed out the top 1 full turn and the bottom 1/2 turn from the recommended starting position.

#3 No matter what I do, I'll need to make new rudder stops, since the stops made per the plans seem to put me a little over 35 degrees.

What are your recollections of the rudder?

Cheers,
Tom Wruble

Back