What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot mount Q

az_gila

Well Known Member
I just became the lucky owner of a Dynon AOA Pitot - and will use it with a D-180 on my -6A.

The wings are already built with Vans stock pitot.... so the question is who makes the pitot tube mounts, and do any retro fit better than others?

I know Gretz makes one, but do any others exist?

Thanks for any help.... gil in Tucson

Congrats on the Dynon.

Check out the Gretz mount.

One big advantage over the SafeAir1 mount is that you can adjust the pitot up and down (with washers) if you find it isn't aligned with the direction of flight.

Also, you can leave it out until you put the wings on. This keeps people from walking into it while the wings are on the stand.

BTW, there are pictures of the installation on my wing page

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys... I just ordered the Safe-Air one... it should do the job nicely and was 1/2 the price of the Gretz one.....

I now have to look at my wing... I had done an early "Bakersfield mod." and used two circular access panels on each wing at the aileron bell crank location.

I may have to change back to the single, larger square panel to get access... but it shouldn't be too big a deal - the early -6A kits without punched skins didn't have joggles in the skins for the access plates anyway.... :)

I guess it's just another change to incorporate better technology.... :D

gil in Tucson

I just ordered one from Gretz. Warren seems like a heck of a nice guy to do business with and I dig the product.

Dave

I bought the Gretz Mount

I tried to buy the Gretz Mount direct just because I know they are a small business and it would help them to get a higher margin sale, but even after a week they never responded to my e-mail asking if they had the one I wanted in stock. :(

I gave up and bought it from Aircraft Spruce. It was the same price as Gretz and had it the next day. :)

The kit they produce is made pretty well and for as simple as it is it had quite detailed instructions.

I did not by the chrome one because of the significantly increased cost, there is a great powder coater in our town and I had mine blasted and coated a shiny toolbox red for less than $10. :cool:

Last edited:
Back