What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: How to transport a Lycoming in a pickup truck

Rosie

Well Known Member
It was a GREAT day today as I picked up our completely overhauled Lycoming O-360, and it looks beautiful :) Here are some pictures on how I transported the engine from the engine shop, Exodus Air Service, to the hangar. I don't know if this is old-news but I came up with the tire idea when trying to get the engine to the shop. I ran it by the engine builder, and he said, 'No problem setting the motor in the tire'.

Transport_Lycoming1.jpg

Transport_Lycoming2.jpg

Transport_Lycoming3.jpg

Transport_Lycoming4.jpg

I hope to be airborne in about 2 weeks as we've now been done 2 months to the day (and really miss flying!). Keep poundin' them rivets as it's ALL worth it! :D Rosie

Last edited:
Spec's?

Rosie,

Just curious....after xxxxx-hours(?) on the engine, what did they find when they did the overhaul?? Anything major, or was it a minor ordeal?

Take care,

Thanks for asking Gary so here are the details:

The engine was bought NEW from Vans in 1998; 180hp Lycoming O360-A1A with LASAR electronic ignition. All cylinders were original/stock and never let us down (the valve wobble tests were all within limits too). Compressions were in the 71-74 lbs range, burning 1 quart of oil every 5 hours.

We ran a fixed (83) pitch Senenich for the first 2100 hours, typically running 2500rpm in cruise and peak EGT. We then switched to a Hartzell constant speed prop so we could keep up with Dan Checkoway and the rest of the 'Chino Power Squadron' (and it was also nice to have the C/S prop when flying formation with Stu McCurdy and company :)

We used Aeroshell 100w for the first 1000 or so hours then switched to Aeroshell 15/50w. We always kept the oil level at 6 quarts unless heading out for a long cross-country (7 quarts on the first leg outbound).

Oil Analysis was completed with EVERY oil change, and the last 3-4 analysis have been showing steady increases in copper content; was 8ppm forever then creeping up to 12 ppm at 2400hrs and 16ppm at 2450 so I decided it was time (just putting off the inevitable otherwise).

2500hrs was a personal goal that we reached on the way home after a quick-trip to Las Vegas, and the engine was pulled the next day with 2501.1 TTSN.

Overhaul to factory new specs was completed by Exodus Air Service, located on Fox Field (WJF) airport, and they found nothing of significance after tearing down the engine. Crank was ground 0.003" as you could feel some slight 'grooving' on the main journal with your fingernail. We will be flying behind new, ECI TiTan cylinders with thanks going to Tom & Katie Velvick for giving us their LOE '05 ECI discount certificate :D

We picked up the engine last Friday, and we hope to be back flying in the next two weeks. :) Rosie

Last edited:
Good Idea Rosie!

Rosie,
That is the best way I know of to haul an engine. Did it myself a few years back. Only it was a truck engine :rolleyes:

would like to get in touch land line

rosie, i would like to get in touch with you some time. my 6-a flew first time january 2000 on new 0-360-a1a lyc. it has 3,000 hrs hobbs time and still running like new behind 85 in pitch sensinich[ it ran 208 mph at snf timed race turning 2850 rpm burning a lot more gas than i had planned]. comps 75 +, oil qt/ 8hrs,[ started out qt/16 hrs], wobble test showed #3 cyl a bit loose the others still pretty " tight". used avblend early on then switched to marvel in the gas and oil most of its life. fuel was straight 100ll early on then switching to 50/50 mix in to/land tank and 5/1 mix mogas / 100ll in cruize tank. oil anyalisis has been great except some dirt getting by a loose fitting knn air filter early on. my plan is to sell this engine as soon as i get some indications and buy a new thunderbolt lycoming experimental engine. it is great to see people that are flyers that use their plane to travel. hope to meet you some time soon. i am new to this super website and welcome any responses. the 3,000 hobbs hrs reduces down 20% to get 2,500 hrs total time. i also would like to mention to all running a carburated engine to check there for AD on plastic floats. safe flying to all

link to me and my plane below:

Ed DArcy 'turbo'
RV-38LR KSUA
Stuart Fl
www.geocites.com/stuarteaa/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back