What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How is the kit fitment?

speed

Can we get some feedback on how the kits are going together? I have heard the rave about the awesome plans/manual, but how are they working in real-life?

Let us know how well the kits are going together. Anyone know how many kits are current in progress ?

Last edited:
Our RV-10

Julie and I started ours 2 1/2 weeks ago. We have finished the vertical stabilizer, the Horizontal stabilizer, the rudder and the fuselage is clecoed together. The plans are the best I have ever seen. If a part doesn't fit, you have done something wrong. Everything goes together amazingly well. I have restored several certificated planes, this is my first kit. What a treat to work with all new metal!!!
Jim Wade

parts fit

I'm working on the wings at this point. I think the emp/tailcone went together really easy. However, I feel Van's teased us with the first kit, because they kind of left some things for you to figure out on your own with the wings. For instance, they only show the left wing construction. May seem silly, (because you do have to have a right spar), they don't come right out & tell you to build it. But, they do tell you, at the beginning of the rib layout/assembly, the right wing is a mirror image of the left. :confused: I learned/realized mirror means R becomes L & visa versa. The plans show the layout of the left wing, 1011L's, 1011R's, 1010L, 1012L's & R's in their proper places. The right wing, the L's become R's & R's are L's.
The plans & instructions are still great. It just seems you have to, kind of....read between the lines a bit. After building the tail. :)
My own opinion.

Marshall Alexander
RV10
Wings

I bought a completed RV-6A that was well built and a wonderful flying machine. In the three years I flew it there were multiple times I had to drag out the building plans to help in maintance issues.

Having how attached my RV-10 tailcone to the fuselage and getting ready to put it on the gear I can say without a doubt that the RV-10 plans are outstanding.

In addition, my A&P buddy who helped me get started building on the Emp/Tailcone is finishing up an RV-6 that was way past QB stage when he got it in his shop and he is so furstrated with the RV-6 plans after having help me breeze through the RV-10 Emp/Tailcone with such wonderful plans.

Russ Daves
N710RV Reserved

It's awesome. There is no better kit aircraft anywhere for the price. I've built an RV8 (pre matched hole days) and the improvement is just amazing. It's almost like cheating!

Back