What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 height &/or weight limitation.

rickfogerson

I'm New Here
I had a guy who is 6'-2" and 220 lbs ask me "how he would feel in an RV-3 cockpit with the slider canopy". Does anyone know of someone close to this in size that flies an RV-3 with a slider?

Thanks, Rick Fogerson

I'm not sure if there's a difference in canopy height between the slider and tip-up, but I'm 6'-3 1/2", 200 lbs. and fit in my RV-3 tip-up...albeit with no extra head room. Vans site says the cockpit is big enough for pilots up to about 6'-3".

Hi Rick,

I am about 5'11" and weighed about 240# when I owned and flew my RV-3 with the slider canopy. I never felt the least bit cramped.

I remember the first small town fly-in I attended. I was just standing amongst the crowd listening to the bystander comments. I almost laughed out loud when one person commented on how small the airplane was and then the guy next to him commented on how large the pilot was. :) Sad, but true!

Best regards,

Rod
RV-3 Sold
MM-1 rebuilding
RV-8 wings & holding

Tall RV-3 pilot

I stand 6'4"" and 195lbs. I'm alittle slim on seat the padding, but I don't have a problem flying, getting in and out is slow, you learn to bend in different ways, :D but no problems. And I have a slider.

Mike Bauer
RV-3 N87LB flying
RV-4 N742MC building

Back