What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Circuit breaker switch-Airpax

funflying

Well Known Member
I have used these switches for ten years (877hrs) and have had no issues. They, five of them, have worked fine. I did a panel re-do, added an additional Airpax switch, but because of a change in the gray shade the color didn't match so I got all new switches. There is the history.
My landing light and nav lights are wired the same I basically just replaced the switch, same amps, just moved them a little.
Well these two switches "trip" now when I turn on the landing light or nav lights. I cycle the switch, off - on, and they come on fine. I turn them off - on again, no "trip." I can do this several times and no "trip" until the next power up cycle after everything has been shut off. Any ideas?

Inrush current?

Are the ones you replaced the same PN or series? If the new breakers are faster than the ones replaced, the inrush current of the lamps could be what's doing it. Its not uncommon for a cold incandescent lamp to draw 12-20 times the rated current while its warming up. Warm from the brief turn-on, they would pull significantly less current the second time.

You may need to get breakers with a longer time delay or specifically rated for incandescent or 'tungsten' loads.

Hope this helps
John

BTW what is the series number of the ones replaced? 10 years/877 hours is a pretty good endorsement.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I will check the numbers to see what has changed over the past ten years, and I had no idea about the cold issue. All interest stuff.

Pat

The model numbers are different. New switches are R11-59-15.0A GO6EV-S,
and the former switches were R11-51-15.0A GO6EV-S

Last edited:
Back