What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

attaching upholstery/cushions

ChrisMallory

I'm helping my neighbor clean up the RV-6 his father build. Its been sitting for a couple of years. We've got her running again, condition inspection almost complete (we're fixing the baffle crack from the oil cooler).
The seat velcro is no longer sticking to the airframe. Hot Texas summers have taken their toll on the glue. I looked through the threads and found one discussion of glues, but no long term answers.
What glue has someone used in hot weather that has lasted several years?

This also got me thinking that velcro can't be the only answer. Who has attached their seats with some other mechanical method? Post some pictures please!

Cheers,
Chris

Just a data point to consider here.

I did not attach any of my interior at all. I have the Classic Aero interior seats, side panels, carpet, etc. They all have velcro. I have never used it (the velcro). Mainly for the very reason you are dealing with now. I knew the velcro on anything I have ever used before would not hold very well. Any glue I have ever tried to use never sticks as well as the velcro. So eventually it lifts off of whatever surface to which it is glued. Since I knew I would be removing the interior at least at every condition inspection I decided not to bother with the velcro at all. All of my interior has been just sitting in place for 6+ years now. Works just fine that way.

Chris,

First, clean off ALL of the old, melted velcro mess. You can't do anything with that nasty stuff at this point.

Shoe Goo glue works well on velcro that doesn't have the adhesive, i.e. the sew on type. IMHO, there is no place in your airplane for the adhesive type velcro. It always ends up in a melty mess.

I use the really wide velcro that is at least 2" wide on the airframe. Then use only 1/2" width on the upholstery side.

Shoe Goo glue can also be used along the edges of your adhesive velcro to reinforce the bond, but I still don't recommend adhesive velcro.

Then run the two widths at 90 degrees to each other, i.e. if the airframe strip is vertical, run the upholstery strip horizontally.

The whole idea is make the airframe velcro much more strongly attached vs te upholstery side.

Back