What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Great new RV-12 Video

tomwebster

Well Known Member
Great new RV-12 video is up on this site's home page.
I hope 'Pursuit of Flight' does more RV videos.
Tom Webster

tomwebster said:
Tom Webster
Beautiful video!

I've kind of had the RV-12 in the back of my mind for a "retirement" project, but having seen how you have to get in and out of the thing, now I'm not so sure. That looked relatively difficult.

Only as old as you let yourself get..

Dgamble said:
Beautiful video!

I've kind of had the RV-12 in the back of my mind for a "retirement" project, but having seen how you have to get in and out of the thing, now I'm not so sure. That looked relatively difficult.

Just think of it this way, all that execise will help to keep you loose and limber as you get older. Keeps you "young". :D

tomwebster said:
Tom Webster
I'm glad you guys like the video. We have several others that are not "RV" related but are about homebuilt aircraft that will be available for viewing, Glasair, Lancair, Viperjet, Aventura and others. Our main focus will be on the "RV" line of aircraft (all models) and plan on bringing a new one each month "exclusively" to the VAF site. We'll be bringing you all kinds of fun, interesting and educational videos centered around the "RV" line of aircraft. If you have any questions shoot me an email any time.

Enjoy the video's!
Bruce Sturgill

I wish to see these in another format than Apple quicktime. But anything you do, do not compromise quality. Only thing that sucks in YouTube and such is that videos has so poor quality.

Edit: What is the resolution of the "master" video?

Last edited:
Dgamble said:
Beautiful video!

The difficult entry caught my attention too! Although as the pilot I might be able to train and condition myself for the gymnastics of getting in and out of the 12 , I'm also concerned about my passengers, especially first time flyers. There seems ample opportunity for them to get hurt or damage the plane if they don't get the technique just right. I'll be very interested in how Van improves on this as the balance of the design really appeals to me. Based on my sailplane experiences I even like the removeable wing option.

I also fly quite often with my wife. We "tried on" the RV-9 at Sun and Fun and to my surprise she was not bothered by the technique required to get in and out. In fact she did quite well. The 12 does seem a bit more awkward.

Perhaps a different style canopy (forward slider maybe?) or some strategically placed hand holds will ease the entry procedure.

Does anyone know if Vans is bringing the 12 to Sun and Fun this year? I'd like to try one on for size and check out the ergonomics up close and personal :)

Frank

Pirkka said:
I wish to see these in another format than Apple quicktime. But anything you do, do not compromise quality. Only thing that sucks in YouTube and such is that videos has so poor quality.

Edit: What is the resolution of the "master" video?
I agree, You Tube does "lack" in quality. The original video was shot in HD(High Definition), you should see it on a 50" HD Plasma Panel. :eek:
We're working on putting the videos in a WMV format as well as QT, then you can have your choice. I'm waiting for the new software so we can convert them, it'll be a couple of days. I'm trying to keep the quality up as high as we can and still make the downloads manageable. This is a work in progress and I really appreciate all the feedback we get, we'll adjust these videos so everyone can view them.

The other videos I mentioned were not shot on HD, so they won't look as good as the new stuff coming down the road. The way to tell the difference between the newer videos and the older ones, will be the shape of the picture. The new(HD) ones will have the wide screen look (16X9), the older will look more square(4X3).

Best regards,
Bruce Sturgill

Dgamble said:
I didn't perceive it as any more difficult than any other low wing plane (I think they are all a little more ungangly than the high-wing group). One item I noticed on the video which may be making it look difficult is that he is holding the canopy up while climbing in. I assume gas struts are not installed - presumably to allow the "Canopy Jettison" feature to work on this POC - test craft. YMMV

DJ

FrankS said:
Does anyone know if Vans is bringing the 12 to Sun and Fun this year? I'd like to try one on for size and check out the ergonomics up close and personal :)
Frank

Dont know about Sun n Fun but I suspect anyone making the annual trip to Mecca (Osh) this year wont be dissapointed.

Nice video,

But I had a real difficult time to get to view it, I had to resort to back door downloading instead of streaming and it took a long time, to South Africa, 1/2 way across the globe...Seriously consider making other formats available as a "Download" instead of streaming.

Thank you, kind regards
Rudi

BruceS said:
The other videos I mentioned were not shot on HD, so they won't look as good as the new stuff coming down the road. The way to tell the difference between the newer videos and the older ones, will be the shape of the picture. The new(HD) ones will have the wide screen look (16X9), the older will look more square(4X3).

Best regards,
Bruce Sturgill
Just out of curiosity, which HD camera do you have.

Thx

GrayHawk said:
Just out of curiosity, which HD camera do you have.
The Sony Z1 and HC1. We use the Z1 for interviews and the C1(with wide angle adapter) for inside the cockpit while flying. I used to use a 3 chip box camera(non HD) attached to the side of a helmet when I would fly with other pilots. Worked great, (as you'll see in the other videos we'll post here) but with the HD cameras, they're a little to heavy for that, they'll get smaller.

Bruce Sturgill

The aircraft didn't look any more difficult to get into than an RV-4/6. One thing that the POC RV-12 doesn't have that mine WILL have is a strut brace to keep the canopy open. That will significantly reduce the amount of contortions that Ken had to go through to get into the POC RV-12.

I'm sure Van's is aware of this and they simply have to source a strut brace that meets their needs.

Back