What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone ever heard of this stuff (long shot)

Loman

Well Known Member
I am planning on doing a vinyl wrap but, being in a maritime environment, I also plan on priming first. We just don't have enough experience of vinyl wraps to justify taking a chance. My airfield (EINC) is just meters from the seashore.

This product has been recommended to me: BICCS Bichodur 2C DTM Matt-10. The link goes to a data sheet.

It comes from the Netherlands and I am told it has been used on light aircraft before. It would be professionally applied in a car body shop.

I am interested to hear of any experience or even any opinions on the data sheet.

I know its a long shot - they don't seem to sell outside Europe

A good etch primer onto a well prepared surface will be fine - you do not need anything extra special. Many Cessnas and Pipers survive very well next to the seaside ;-)

I can give you suggestions that are available in Ireland - PM me off line.

Mike
Harrogate
UK

A good etch primer onto a well prepared surface will be fine - you do not need anything extra special. Many Cessnas and Pipers survive very well next to the seaside ;-)

I can give you suggestions that are available in Ireland - PM me off line.

Mike
Harrogate
UK

Most etch primers need a top coat.

Wouldn't an epoxy primer be better?

+1 for what Gil said.

If you are going to prime the aircraft, I would use an Epoxy primer like Akzo ... easy to spray, dries fast and is super durable.

Like you, I too may be installing a vinyl wrap. I was considering the merits of just having the surfaces treated with Alodine in the hopes the protection would be good enough without adding weight ... especially since the Alodine treated surfaces will be covered by the vinyl.

Wonder what others think about Alodine covered with vinyl in lieu of primer?

Back