What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical placement of large-screen Dynons

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm putting a D-180 front, dead-center (on pilot side) in my -9 slider panel. I haven't yet purchased the unit, but want to start the serious panel designing and cutting. I would like it to be as high as possible.

What's the highest I can get it without interefering with the pilot side panel rib? I've tried using mockups based on the dynon specs., but it's still hard to tell since things plug into the back--it's pretty hard to replicate those without actually having the unit.

For those who have installed them in the slider, how high were you able to go? Perhaps any measurements off that panel-rib screw?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
trim the rib

I bought the wire harnesses and the mounting tray so I could test fit ,
the best place for the d-180 was up higher .. I had to trim the
bottom of that rib for for the tray to fit.. didn't take much.. on my
9a

I have some pictures somewhere..

Danny..

Thanks Danny. I'd definitely be interested in any pics you, or anyone else, may have. Also definitely curious about how much of a cut-out was required on that rib and whether or not any reinforcement was necessary to maintain whatever strength that rib must provide. Thanks again.

Steve,

I want to mount a D-180 near the top of my 9A slider panel, too. I got the dimensions of the tray from the Dynon web site, and found I had to cut a notch in the rib starting slightly below the plate nut that holds the panel to the rib. If I remember correctly, the notch goes back about 4 inches behind the panel and then goes down about an inch to the bottom of the rib. I made an L-shaped doubler out of .063 aluminum to add strength to the rib. With the Dynon in this position on the panel, I think I'll be able to fit a few 2 1/4" instruments directly below the Dynon without having to extend the standard panel. Sorry I can't be more specific on the measurements or send you a picture. My kit is at the airport and I won't be able to get out there for another week or two.

Mark

pictures

I can't find one that shows exactly how much I took off the rib, but
the amount I did cut didn't do much to weaken the rib or the pannel.. although I have not beefed it up any.. once the top skin ties the ribs
together its very strong with all the pannel screws connects it all
together very well.. you might consider moving the rib like Dan did
on his rv7 , he douments it very well.. He cut the rib at the sub pannel
and made a new flange and scooted it over enough to do what he wanted
to do.. turned out very well..

Danny..
ps when I get a new camera I will take a pic and send it over..

I too wanted to mount the Dynon as high as posible directly in front of the pilot here is a picture that I took early on. Later I found that the pitot line would rub on this support rib so I cut the rib back a little more and bent the edge to give the pitot line a little room.

dscf10479yn.jpg

Back