What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Hole Spacing

TX7A

Well Known Member
On a standard RV instrument panel (.063"), how much 'meat' are builders leaving between holes? (minimum safe amount)
I don't want to leave too little material between them...but then I'm having some close fits on some preferred switch & instrument locations.

Thanks,
Sam

Here is a shot of my finished blank and another populated (minus AI). They are about 1/4" apart from top to bottom row and about an 1" side to side. You can actually cram them in as tight as they will go. When they are screwed into the panel, that will give the panel more rigidity.

Be midfull of the support ribs and keep everything about an inch or so below the top of the panel, especially a tipup.

Hope this helps.

Roberta

panel46ak.jpg

panel77dr.jpg

Tip-up Clearance

Thanks, Roberta.

The 1/4" spacing was about what I was thinking.

You mentioned the 1" clearance at the top of the panel. I know about the 3/4" angle brace along the top edge of the panel. But, is there a reason other than perhaps air circulation that I need to consider? Is there some sort of interference I'm not seeing?

Thanks again,
Sam

One little "gotcha"

Roberta's advice is great - the only thing I can add is that if you are installing a vertical card compass, allow extra room below it. There is a little rectangular box on the bottom that needs more room than if it was simply round. I had already cut my panel before I got that compass, and it wouldn't fit....had to go with an old-fashioned whiskey compass instead. That's what I got for getting ahead of myself!

Paul

Hey Sam,

If you are doing a tipup, the frame and the stiffener kit (those thingies with the holes) comes down into the space behind the panel. If your instruments are too high, the canopy frame may come down on them, especially near the ends. I was very glad I allowed at least an inch.

Most of the new radios have their own cooling blowers or don't need them, so ventilation is not usually an issue.

Paul's right about the box below the VCC. You don't see it in the photo I posted, but I have a small hole drilled in the panel below the VCC to adjust it. I hid it under the tag holder for the compass deviation.

Roberta

Last edited:
Dodged another bullet!

Ooo, yeah....the canopy stiffiner / brace. Yikes! :eek:

Thanks for the heads-up on that Roberta .... I really hadn't even thought about that being a problem.

Sam

Back