What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thank You Snowflake

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
Just wanted to thank Snowflake (Rob Prior) for his letter to the editor of COPAFlight this month in response to J.C. Audet's uninformed, or misinformed, article on importing amateur builts from the US into Canada. You wrote pretty much the exact same letter that I was going to, but after a wee bit of procrastination on my part, you saved me the trouble! I was seriously unimpressed with the original article for all the same reasons that you articulated in your response. Well done, and thanks again.

I'll heartily second Gerry's comments. Rob's comments were right on the money, well balanced, well informed, and well written. Thank you, Rob!

How about posting the article or a link? I have looked on the COPA site and have not been able to find Rob's letter. It may require being a member to see it?
Thanks

Plus one more for Rob on his letter. I imported an RV-4 to Canada, it just is not that difficult. I took a pic of the letter for those who want to read it:

Rob%20Prior.jpg

Thanks everybody... Didn't mean to become a celebrity! :)

Here is the original email, if anyone can't read the photos:

Dear COPA Flight,

The Canadian used aircraft market is extremely small, and the used Amateur-Built market even smaller. As such the prices are generally much higher due to reduced competition and the occasional ill-informed article crying wolf about the difficulty of importing aircraft from the US.

As someone who has personally imported a completed Amateur-Built Aircraft, and who has counselled a number of others to successfully do the same, I believe J.C. Audet's article in the September issue of COPA Flight does a disservice to potential Canadian buyers. It unnecessarily spreads fear, uncertainty, and doubt regarding the import process, and downplays the benefits of the lower prices and greater selection available in the US market.

Knowing what to look for is part of "buyer beware" in any transaction, and the checklist for things to look for when buying a US aircraft or kit for import to Canada is neither long, nor difficult to check. Even the items Mr. Audet deemed significant enough to mention (for a kit: "are the wings closed?", for a flying A/C: "does it have 100 verifiable flying hours?") are, when it comes right down to it, pretty trivial to answer. Yes, the rules for amateur-built aircraft are different between the US and Canada, but they're not so different as to be completely incompatible. After all, most kits built in Canada do come from US manufacturers.

Any aircraft or kit purchase will hinge on a pre-purchase inspection that ensures it meets acceptable standards and the buyer's requirements. This is not significantly different whether the aircraft is located in the US or merely half-way across Canada... In both cases, it's possible that you won't travel in-person to see it before purchase, and someone else will need to confirm that it is acceptable on your behalf.

I found importing a known design in flying condition to be straightforward and extremely economical compared to what it would have cost to buy (or build) a similar aircraft and get it registered and flying in Canada. Transport Canada and the FAA were both prompt in servicing every request I made of them, MD-RA performed exactly the services required of them in a timely fashion, and nobody raised any barriers to entry. Of course, I did my homework, knew what to look for, and found an aircraft that met those requirements.

I encourage any potential Canadian buyers to educate themselves on the import process, starting with the information available on the MD-RA website. Once you understand the requirements, the actual import process quickly becomes the easiest part of owning your own aircraft.

Rob Prior
1996 Vans RV-6 "Tweety" C-FRBP (Formerly N196RV)
Sidney, BC

Back