What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing from Pacific Northwest to Reno

Bevan

Well Known Member
Planning to RV it to Reno next month. For those who've flown to the Reno area from the Pacific Northwest or British Columbia in September, please comment on your routing, weather and how it all worked out. Currently I'm planning two routes. One on the west side of the mountains, the other one east on the "dry" side. The final decision will likely be based on forecasted and actual weather on the day of travel. Wondering what others have done and how it worked out.

Bevan

Last edited:
Either way works fine, depending on weather. Usually clearer skies east of the mountains, unless there are fires generating a lot of smoke. I'll be going through the Okanogan in another week headed south to Reno if the weather up here in Atlin clears up enough to get out.

Greg

Done that a few times, using the west route. Only problems were smoke and low clouds (different trips) through the mountains at Grants Pass. The freeway makes it easy to get through the mountains low and there is an ASOS on Sexton Summit at the high point of the freeway.

This is route is over much more populated areas and simply follows I-5 and then the pass through Truckee along I-80. This might be lowest elevation route of the two.

I believe that the lowest route through the Sierra's is through the Feather River Canyon going east from Oroville. Pass over, or stop at, Quincy, since it is a beautiful place with a short walk to town for food. Then on to Portola and Sierra Valley and Beckworth pass to the Reno Stead area. Nice route, but big rocks on either side if you are in the Feather River Canyon.

PS, Quincy is my home town, and I love that area.....

I have done both many times. They are both very scenic. The remoteness of the eastern route south of Kfalls through the rolling hills is pure magic down low, but as mentioned, it is remote. The western route has more options.

Reno

I've made the flight from Seattle to Reno and back. Advice:

Take a Coat. It can be 70 degrees on Friday and snowing on Sunday.

My route was basically south on I5 to Medford then SE to Reno.

Oh, be ready to land sideways on the large runway. Wind can be 20 MPH across the runway. Hang onto the canopy.

Have Fun

If you are going for the races, rent a car ASAP. May already be too late.

Back