What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet gun observation--CP vs. IR

RScott

Well Known Member
My IA of many years experience, says that he prefers the Chicago Pneumatic guns first and Ingersoll Rand second over all the other makes.

Last weekend I found my IR 3X gun ($35 thru Ebay) with offset rivet set wouldn't fit between the ribs to rivet the center flap bracket on my -9 wings. So I called friend Ray Peabody to find out how he riveted the bracket on. He said he didn't have any trouble. We got to talking about guns and it turns out his 3X CP is 3/4" shorter. He generously offerred to bring his gun over to help me rivet the bracket (22 mi. each way--aren't RV builders great folks?). It fit nicely between the ribs with the same rivet set.

Anyway, to get to the point, the CP gun has a very nice trigger, slightly better than the IR, and seems to vibrate less, which helps to keep it on the 470 rivet. So if you are in the market for a rivet gun, I highly recommend the CP. Ray also bought his gun thru Ebay. And by the way, I also have an ATS, which I bought new 20 years ago. Piece of junk.

Back