What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Illinois to Montana/Wyoming in an RV-6A

BuckWynd

Well Known Member
I thought some of you would be interested in an article that recently appeared in our EAA Chapter 1414 newsletter.

Lee and Corinn Hilbert (non-RV owners) flew a friend's RV-6A from Illinois to visit relatives in Montana and Wyoming, and back.

One very interesting part of the article is at the end, where he makes a comparison beteween the performance numbers (speeds, fuel-burn, MPG, etc) of the RV-6A, his 7AC Champ, and a Toyota Highlander. What's really neat is that the fuel used, MPG, and the cost per mile were nearly identical for the RV and the Champ.

The truck was more economical than both, as you'd expect, but the travel time was three times that of the RV (ouch). No thanks. Give me an airplane -- any airplane -- for trips over a hundred miles.

Here's a link to the newsletter archive page. Click on the September 2006 issue. The article is on pages 3/4.

EAA 1414 Newsletters

(Sorry I can't create a direct link to the September issue. Because of the way that particular newsletter file name is coded, if I make a direct link to it, extra characters are created on this post and the link doesn't work. Argh.)

Back