What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slightly OT: Aviation activity at GRR: Ford Funeral...

OldAndBold

Well Known Member
My wife just called and said there are about ten fighters overhead south of Grand Rapids (Gun Lake area) apparently for the funeral of President Ford. Numerous passes.

I usually go out at lunch to get a sandwich and then go and eat it at the observation area at GRR. But it also is closed today with Sheriff's deputies guarding it. Can't say I see how security is enhanced by keeping people away from a fenced viewing area 2000 feet from the runways two hours before the plane is to arrive...

Those guys were F-15Es from Seymour Johnson (my squadron). They were practicing for the real thing tomorrow. There will be a 21-ship flyby for President Ford's 21-gun salute.

On that note, please stay clear of the airspace between Calkins Field (41C) and Grand Rapids tomorrow. That is where the holding pattern will be, and you don't want to wander into a 30-ship formation of Strike Eagles!!

On the other hand, if you want to see a free airshow with lots of fighters and tankers, you might want to get there early and watch from the ground.

Back