What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairman's Cert In Canada?

atalla

Well Known Member
I was recently chatting with a follow experimental pilot / owner. He was performing his own annual. I was under the impression you required a repair mans certificate to preform such tasks and make technical log entries. He than told me that's a US thing and in Canada you can fix or do anything you want to a home built, LSA, experimental. The cost savings of operating an aircraft that I built myself is a driving factor in building, however if I am still able to preform any mechanical task to my aircraft that I purchase than I must say buying a completed airframe would save approx 30k.

I would enjoy the build but that's a lot of AV gas!

In the US you need the repairman certificate or an A&P to do the annual 'condition inspection'. But you can work on the EAB plane as much as you want with no certificate.

In Canada, the owner of an Amateur-Built Aircraft may perform all regular maintenance, annuals, etc. on his/her own. It's expected that such owners will take the time to learn how to do that work properly, and so far in Canada that's worked out pretty well.

The only regular work that must be done by a shop (off the top of my head) is certifying your transponder, pitot-static system, and ELT.

I was recently chatting with a follow experimental pilot / owner. He was performing his own annual. I was under the impression you required a repair mans certificate to preform such tasks and make technical log entries. He than told me that's a US thing and in Canada you can fix or do anything you want to a home built, LSA, experimental. The cost savings of operating an aircraft that I built myself is a driving factor in building, however if I am still able to preform any mechanical task to my aircraft that I purchase than I must say buying a completed airframe would save approx 30k.

I would enjoy the build but that's a lot of AV gas!

Your fellow pilot/owner is correct; the repairman's certificate is purely a US deal and does not exist in the Canadian regulations. If you are the owner/pilot of an amateur built aircraft in Canada, you can legally do all maintenance and repairs, including the annual.

*Dang! Snowflake beat me to it! Faster trigger finger;)

Last edited:
me too!

I also sent Andrew a little PM, saying how he should buy my -9a, and could then do all the maintenance ( very little) to his little hearts content!!! :D
My annual inspection and maintenance usually runs under $100, (depending on how much beer or rye is needed to acquire a hangar for the weekend!!)

I also sent Andrew a little PM, saying how he should buy my -9a, and could then do all the maintenance ( very little) to his little hearts content!!! :D
My annual inspection and maintenance usually runs under $100, (depending on how much beer or rye is needed to acquire a hangar for the weekend!!)

Thanks Fly boy Beautiful plane..... I'm doing the math to see if its possible right now.

Back