What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Pda Gps?

henriquerv9

Hi All,

I Would Like To Hear Opinion About The Ique 3600a Users, As Well As Another Software Options Available For Pda?s. I Have A Compaq 3115 Andwould Like To Put It As A Gps In My Aircraft.

Thanks All

Henrique Castro
Rv9 Pp-xrv

henriquerv9 said:
Hi All,

I Would Like To Hear Opinion About The Ique 3600a Users, As Well As Another Software Options Available For Pda?s. I Have A Compaq 3115 Andwould Like To Put It As A Gps In My Aircraft.

If you plan on connecting to an auto-pilot (GPS data-output for heading info), then I've read and heard that the 3600a doesn't have the required output. That swayed my decision to the Garmin 296.

But I'm only 99.9 % sure on this, as I've read a small amount of conflicting info, but not from someone who has actually connected one to an A/P.

L.Adamson

palm, copilot, flight-master, handheld gps of choice. i use both a magellan 315 and an older garmin 90. don't pay attention to the gps, the CoPilot/Flight-Master combo is a great setup

I was flying in my friend's C-182 a couple of days ago and he had a new IQue3600 bolted to my control wheel. It had great resolution, but I found it to be not as usefull as the Garmin GNS 430, the Garmin 295, or the Lowrance 2000c. Yes, we had them all running during the flight. At one point, the IQue unit froze up and had to be rebooted a couple of times. I was less than impressed. I would not buy one of these.

I liked the Lowrance 2000c the best of all the units mentioned above which was loaded with Canada Topographical mapsets with the Jeppesen Aviation overlay.

Yes I know the GNS 430 will do more but the Lowrance with the big screen and topo info was unbelievable for VFR flying. To know the name of every little creek that you fly over is pretty neat. Also, I found the menu system far easier to grasp than the other units. I am not knocking Garmins. I own two Garmin GPS units myself, but the Lowrance kicks butt for accuracy of topographical features.

Cheers, Pete

Mustang said:
I was flying in my friend's C-182 a couple of days ago and he had a new IQue3600 bolted to my control wheel. It had great resolution, but I found it to be not as usefull as the Garmin GNS 430, the Garmin 295, or the Lowrance 2000c. Yes, we had them all running during the flight. At one point, the IQue unit froze up and had to be rebooted a couple of times. I was less than impressed. I would not buy one of these.

I liked the Lowrance 2000c the best of all the units mentioned above which was loaded with Canada Topographical mapsets with the Jeppesen Aviation overlay.

Yes I know the GNS 430 will do more but the Lowrance with the big screen and topo info was unbelievable for VFR flying. To know the name of every little creek that you fly over is pretty neat. Also, I found the menu system far easier to grasp than the other units. I am not knocking Garmins. I own two Garmin GPS units myself, but the Lowrance kicks butt for accuracy of topographical features.

Cheers, Pete

The Garmin 296 hand-held has a much higher resolution display than the 430, which works very well with it's color displays including built in terrain and terrain warning.
It's also easily readable in bright sunlight.

SonoraMike said:
palm, copilot, flight-master, handheld gps of choice. i use both a magellan 315 and an older garmin 90. don't pay attention to the gps, the CoPilot/Flight-Master combo is a great setup

You know what? I have to agree with Mike. CoPilot on the palm is about the best handheld flight planning program I've ever seen. I use it for all my preflight planning. FlightMaster is a great add on too.

However, I use ControlVision's AnywhereMap on a iPaq for my moving map. I know there is at least on RV'er trying to get it to work with his autopilot but I don't think he's been having much luck.

Back