What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

landing light replacement

bsacks05

Well Known Member
I recently noticed that my landing light bulb element is broken / burned out. My plane has less that 50 hrs on it and the light must have only about 30 minutes TT. From what I can tell the element looks more broken than burned. The lamp is a rectangular unit from the duckworks kit. I figured I would just need to pull out the bulb and replace it but it won't pull out and looks to be crimped in place. Anyone have experience with this? Is the bulb removable or do I have to buy a new lamp assembly?

Nevermind, problem solved. Apparently there is a little screw in the back of the reflector that releases the bulb.

Last edited:
I heard this long ago and am a firm believer... I was told when mounting the bulb, ensure the filament is vertical (up/down) which will increase the life of the light. I have wig-wag lights that I run 100% of the time, every flight, day or night. I've changed out each landing light exactly once so average bulb life thus far is 1250+ hours :D Rosie

PS: Just changed a bulb out at 2515 TT so the 1250+ service life is still happening...

Last edited:
Rosie said:
I heard this long ago and am a firm believer... I was told when mounting the bulb, ensure the filament is vertical (up/down) which will increase the life of the light. I have wig-wag lights that I run 100% of the time, every flight, day or night. I've changed out each landing light exactly once so average bulb life thus far is 1250+ hours :D Rosie
I have AIRCRAFT round bulbs with the filament vertical. I heard this from the flight school at the airport where I am based that they last longer when mounted this way. I operate like Rosie with Wig-Wag on amost 100% of the time. I replaced one bulb around the same time as Rosie. The 2nd was replaced in July of this year with over 1,900 hours.

There are now 1,972 hours on my airplane since September 1997.

The bulb socket and wire are one piece. I bought one at the local auto parts store for a few bucks The part No. is H3-100 for the 100 watt or H3-50 for the 50 watt.
Aaron
my.php

Thanks to all. After my original post I called the Duckworks guy and he explained it to me. (should have called him first) Anyway, I went to the auto/aviation parts store and picked up the replacement ($6) and will install it today, filament vertical. I also increased the length of the wires so I can pull the light out of the LE for future servicing ease.

RV6_flyer said:
I have AIRCRAFT round bulbs with the filament vertical. I heard this from the flight school at the airport where I am based that they last longer when mounted this way. I operate like Rosie with Wig-Wag on amost 100% of the time. I replaced one bulb around the same time as Rosie. The 2nd was replaced in July of this year with over 1,900 hours.

There are now 1,972 hours on my airplane since September 1997.

Gary and Rosie,
What type of wig-wag flasher are you guys using? Have you had to replace them? I'm just wondering how well they hold up.

Thanks,
Mark

Here's one thread and another on wigwag along with the reply I sent for the original unit I'm still using (works great!). I know Gary is using one of his own design ;) Rosie

Bulb with vertical filament...

Bruce,

I had not heard about vertical filaments before this thread. One of my Duckworks light bulbs was recently replaced. I found the identical horizontal filament part at Wal-Mart and did not think about it only lasting 200+ hours. You did not post the part number you got from the guy at Duckworks. Would you post that number here please? What power rating was that vertical element bulb? Is that one available in 100 watts?

Thanks,

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
Hobbs = 212.5 hours

Jerry,
Actually you are correct. When replacing the bulb I had no choice whether the filament sat horizontal or vertical. It had to be horiz. because of the hold down screw. The other posters must be referring to the round lamp duckworks option.
If I remember correctly it is an H3 55w 12v bulb (stamped on the bulb housing) available at any autoparts/aviation store like Advance Auto. They also have them in 100w.
I'm not sure how my original bulb broke. Hard landing?.......Not me ;)

Back