What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C Wig-Wag Alternative

BlackRV7

Well Known Member
Seems I have "lost" my B&C SSF-1 (or equal) flasher. On Aeroelectric, Bob refers to this as a simple automotive flasher unit. Does anyone know of a Autozone, NAPA. etc. part number.

Have to keep at it to get the fuselage to the painter by Jan. 1!!

Thanks,

Thanks Bobby Hester

Thanks to Bobby Hester (on another list, oh my:), the part, or equal, is NAPA EL-13A-2, I have also heard EFL300, EFL300BP. The flasher will handle lights up to 150 watts.

For those interested in low cost wing flasher setup, Bob's is as easy as it gets. The theory is run power to one of the three tabs on the flasher unit (20 or so bucks), then run power off the remaining two tabs, one to each wing light. Now, there is a B&C S700-2-3 switch in the system. The PDF is on Aeroelectrics website, http://aeroelectric.com/articles/WigWag/WigWag.pdf. Go to your local Grainger store (or google Carling 4x850, double throw, On-none-On) and drop $4 for the switch. Now you have a wing flasher unit that weighs nothing and costs, with tax........something like $28, with no shipping, and found locally. One of those A+ deals.

See: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=38837

Last edited:
BlackRV7 said:
Thanks to Bobby Hester (on another list, oh my:), the part, or equal, is NAPA EL-13A-2, I have also heard EFL300, EFL300BP. The flasher will handle lights up to 150 watts.

For those interested in low cost wing flasher setup, Bob's is as easy as it gets. The theory is run power to one of the three tabs on the flasher unit (20 or so bucks), then run power off the remaining two tabs, one to each wing light. Now, there is a B&C S700-2-3 switch in the system. The PDF is on Aeroelectrics website, http://aeroelectric.com/articles/WigWag/WigWag.pdf. Go to your local Grainger store (or google Carling 4x850, double throw, On-none-On) and drop $4 for the switch. Now you have a wing flasher unit that weighs nothing and costs, with tax........something like $28, with no shipping, and found locally. One of those A+ deals.

Here's a way to wire up a wig-wag with just single pole switches. The TAXI and LANDING switches must be OFF and the FLASH switch must be on for wig-wag operation.

The advantage of this arrangement is that there is only one switch element in series with the lamps in normal operation. This makes it a bit more reliable.

I also used inrush current limiters to protect the switches and breakers and to increase lamp life. The downside of this is that I needed to pop the cover off of the flasher and increase the internal capacitor value to 10 uF to slow the flashing rate down. This allows the lamps to come up to full brightness.

Vern Little
wigwag.jpg

Wig... no Wag

Anyone have this issue... Both lights work in the ON position, but in the wig-wag position one light will flash, but the other will not. This is the case for me, even if I switch connections for the lights on the flasher tabs.

I'm using a Cooper Bussman 759 automotive flasher (12v, 25amp, 3-6 bulb capable).

With a meter I can read 12v at both light tabs while one is flashing. I tried a new flasher but it does the same thing.

The Cooper Bussman 759 appears to be a standard flasher, not a wig-wig flasher. Three terminals does not automatically make a wig-wag. You need a special wig-wag flasher.

Heinrich Gerhardt

Back