What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HVLP Painting Equipment

dbuds2

Well Known Member
Just saw a turbine system on E-bay (Sprayfine? A-301 3-Stage HVLP Turbine Spray System!). Has anyone used this brand and what is your opinion? i know there are name brand systems, but this one is at $395.

For the same money I would buy a DeVillbiss HVLP gun and pocket the change. You would then have a top of the line gun and not have deal with the turbine. When you are done with your project you could sell the gun on ebay if you wanted and make back a large portion of your investment. IMHO of course. YMMV.

KTM520guy said:
For the same money I would buy a DeVillbiss HVLP gun and pocket the change. You would then have a top of the line gun and not have deal with the turbine. When you are done with your project you could sell the gun on ebay if you wanted and make back a large portion of your investment. IMHO of course. YMMV.
What do you have against the turbine? I think not having to have your compressor try to keep up with the supply of air to an HVLP gun is an advantage of using a turbine. Plus you don't have to worry about moisture in the line from the compressor.

I'm leaning toward a Axis system myself. As I understand it, you want a 4 stage system for using polyurethane.

Nothing against a turbine really, but why have one if you have a compressor already. It is just more stuff taking up space. My compressor can supply over 25 c.f.m. my HVLP gun consumes around 14 c.f.m. I would say that I have enough air for any task at hand. For moisture I have a water trap and air dryer. No worries there.

:)

I have the Citation HVLP system. Very nice, fresh air, and comes with a top of the line gun. Mine's done three planes so far and a lot of spraying. My only regret is I think the gravity fed gun might have been a better choice. I got the bottom feeder (qt. size). It worked really well, but sometimes gets in the way when shooting flat surfaces. The trade off is the smaller cup on the gravity feeder.

The nice thing about the AXIS and Citation systems is the clean, dry, and oil free air for the gun and the cool fresh air for you. I was never uncomfortable, even on hot days. The units are very lightweight and compact in size.

Also, I liked using a half mask with the better cloth hood. They have a Tyvex hood, but it doesn't hold up well. Get a bunch of lense protectors to keep the "window" clean. The hood allows you to more loosely fit the mask. The positive pressure under the hood keeps the fumes out, so having a tight seal on the mask isn't necessary and being a little loose is more comfy.

Roberta

Thanks guys. I have a big compressor and Sharpe HVLP gun. But it's been a long time since I've painted. I thought maybe the turbine HVLP systems were more amature proof.

What kind of filters/dryers do I need to use my Sharpe?

hvlp

Go with the turbine. It will furnish you with fresh cool air and I have a friend with a compressor powered hvlp and it puts MUCH more fog into the air than my turbine. I have used mine for at least 10 years with no problems. Just my 2 cents. :)
RV9-A with 7 hours

Axis System

Superflite sells the Axis Citation 4 Sprayer & Fresh Air Combined
Priced lower than Axis Website
go to www.superflite.com
They also have tyvek suits and a complete urethane paint system. Works on fiberglass and metal - same paint!

Builder Geek system

This is too much but I was curious whether a person could build his own turbine system and the answer is yes!
I researched the vacuum cleaner motors from grainger and purchased a three stage having the highest static vacuum that they advertised (something like 120 inches of water) and cobbled together a unit with a suction filter that works quite nicely.
I originally did it because I thought the prices were too high on the commercial units. They really aren't.
My vacuum motor was ~$150
HVLP hose and fittings ~ $90
Wagner HVLP gun ~ $60
Time spent rounding up all the stuff and assembling. ~Too much!

But it does work. :eek:

-mike

Back