What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT autopilot install

mchargmg

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I have a new to me RV-6a with a GRT Sport EFIS. I am going to install a 2 axis GRT autopilot. My question is how hard is the install? I have an A&P who works with me who built his own 7a and installed a Trutrac auto pilot. Think we will be ok? Does GRT provide instructions, and are they any good? Just wondering how much time to plan for the install.

thanks

Geoff

Email sent.

The servos use mounting kits which are pretty similar between GRT, Dynon and Tru-Trak. In fact, when I installed the GRT rolls ervo in my RV_3B, GRT told me to go buy one of Tru-Trak's mounting kits, if I remember correctly.

Dave

easy peasy. especially if your buddy has previously built an RV with an autopilot.

I removed my trutrak AP for the GRT servos. I even used the old wiring, and re-pinned the connectors. Easy install, currently working on gain settings. The GRT AP flies my 7 GREAT so far

Caleb

AP install

Just finished an AP install in my RV8. Did not build the airplane, no real experience.

So....it can be done. Only one thing potentially a little more difficult. If the airplane did not have a pitch servo previously installed, you will probably need to remove the brackets (5 rivets in each) that hold the elevator bellcrank. The servo requires a larger bracket so that the servo can be attached. Not an easy place to work, and almost impossible to use driven rivets for the re-install. Thus I used structural screws. The new brackets are included in the TruTrak hardware kit.

Roll servo is an easy install with the TruTrak center section bracket kit. Can't speak to a wing install. TruTrak however, charges $200 for the center section kit. I think they got tired of selling this to installers of other brands of servos. AFS/Dynon, I know, do not sell a center section mounting kit for the roll servo.

Jim
RV8 N37PK

Last edited:
Geoff

I installed the GRT servos in my 6 a couple years ago. At the time, GRT did not provide much in the way of mechanical installation guidance. The pitch servo is really easy to install. Depending on you 6A, the roll servo can be installed in several locations. I put mine under the right seat, and many have put them under the left seat. It just depends on whether there is already stuff there that will be in your way. If you aren't the original builder, take your seat pan off and have a look. This thread might help you as well http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=58929&highlight=roll+servo

Back