What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mattituck, Superior, Aerosport power??

GRANT ED

I have been looking into engine choices for my RV-7 (still a while away but it's good to look anyway).
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting an engine from one of these companies. The engine I want would have to be injected, suitable for a C/S prop, Electronic ignition and 180+ hp.
Now my question is what's the difference between the engines these companies produce? I know a lot of people on this site uses one of their engines. Could you please share your experiences both +ve and -ve.

Mattituck

Hello,
Well I am not flying yet and I don't have my engine yet but it is on order and I will have it by june. But I will put in my 2cents for Mattituck, they in my opinion are by far the top choice. I ordered a TMX-360 made from superior parts, Mahlon at Mattituck was so helpful he took the time to talk with me about my engine choice a couple diffrent times even before I knew that I would buy the engine from him. I guess what I am trying to say is in the end I chose Mattituck because I trust that I am going to get a wonderful engine, that will really get the most out of my RV.
I am sure aerosport and Bart are also a good choice, but I will send my money to NY. And to try to answer your question on the diffrence between the companies, basically(my understanding) superior makes the parts aerosport and mattituck build the engines, mattituck also incoperates improvements into their TMX series of engines. So if you want just a lock stock superior you can get that from any engine builder, I don't think you can go wrong with mattituck and aerosport.
Best of Luck,
Kirk RV-8

Well, look at what Van's fly. It's either a new Lycoming or a Bart engine.

I'm on my second Bart engine and others who have built more than once have typically stayed with him. Draw your own conclusions.

I'm sure you will get a great engine from any one of the companies you mentioned. It will probably come down to price and customer service. You can research the price. If you really want to save some bucks you can go to class to learn how to put your own ECI or Superior engine together yourself with a little help.

Bart has always given personal service. Try calling the owner of Mattituck or Superior. I've got Bart's cell number and personal email. If I have a question, I "know" I'm going to talk to the person who can take care of it.

I don't know who Bart is, but I am sure he is a HELLUVA guy!

However, Mahlon Russell is very accessible and always is there to answer your questions and give you the personal service you request.

Mahlon is Mattituck's Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

:cool: CJ

Last edited:
Cheers guys. Only problem with going to a build class is that I'm in Australia so a proper build class is a bit hard to come by. My local engine builder said he would build the engine with me should I get a kit.
I am interested to read that mattituck have FADEC on their engine's. I could not find much info on this. Does anyone have this system in their RV?

Back