What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak PreFlight

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
I was wondering what is considered a proper preflight of for a GX Pilot system? With the KAP 140 and GFC 700 I have flown with in Cessnas, the appropriate preflight was turn the AP on, verify the roll and pitch servos can be manually overpowered, then verify the AP disconnect switch on the yoke would disconnect the AP with the appropriate aural warning.

I would do everything you mentioned except manually override the servos. Due to the shear screw design and employment of a stepper motor, I assure you that they can be overridden. Overriding them often will most likely result in a nuisance failure of the shear screw, which you'll then have to replace.

I would add a direction check to your servos check though. Make sure the servos are going the properly commanded direction.

AP Pre-Flight

I was wondering what is considered a proper preflight of for a GX Pilot system? With the KAP 140 and GFC 700 I have flown with in Cessnas, the appropriate preflight was turn the AP on, verify the roll and pitch servos can be manually overpowered, then verify the AP disconnect switch on the yoke would disconnect the AP with the appropriate aural warning.

Other than verifying that the autopilot head boots up correctly, I do not do anything special to "pre-flight" my Tru-Trak for the following reasons:

1. I've thoroughly tested the system after initial install, so I know the control response is correct. If for some odd reason this changes since last use, I can always shut the unit off.

2. I don't consider the autopilot critical for flight.

3. With the clutchless stepper motor servo design, all I really need to know is that the flight controls are free and correct when the AP is off (i.e. the stepper motors move freely when they're not powered). I have a servo power switch in my panel that I can always use to disable them if the unit misbehaves in flight. I also leave the servos powered off until I'm actually ready to engage the AP.

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited:
Back