What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Wrench Calibration

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
How often are you all calibrating your torque wrenches? I've heard that A&Ps are required to cal their wrenches every year - but I haven't heard or seen any comments in the RV world about doing this.

And if I do need to get my wrenches checked, how common are facilities that can do the work?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I bought mine new with calibration papers. I use them put them up imediatly after each use... I think they should be ok unless you drop them. I also never loan them out.. Anything but those.

If you have the "twist the handle" to adjust type, be sure to back the adjustment off to 0 before you put it away.

Mike

Snap-On tool guy

Thermos said:
And if I do need to get my wrenches checked, how common are facilities that can do the work?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Ask your local Snap-On tool guy for your local calibration places... he should know.

You could always do it yourself, it's not Rocket Science. 1 inch-pound = 1 pound of force 1 ince from the axis. Use something light for the arm and attach a known weight(W) at a known distance (D) from the center of rotation of the wrench. The force is due to gravity and it has to be perpendicular to the arm, so when the arm is parallel to the floor, the torque = W * D.
Andy

RANGE

THEY ARE USUALLY ONLY ACCURATE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RANGE AND THEN BEGIN TO DEVIATE TOP AND BOTTOM. AS SAID BEFORE STORE AT ZERO. OR LESS THAN 25% OF THE HIGHEST SETTING..IF LEFT SET RETURN TO ZERO FOR SEVERAL HOURS BEFORE USING AGAIN. THE ARMY USED TO CHECK CAL AT 6 MONTH INTREVALS. IIRC IN THE ARMY IF YOU DROPPED IT IT WAS TURNED IN FOR A FRESH ONE AND SENT FOR CAL. DA LABEL 80 HAD TO BE CURRENT. THE TOOL GUYS CAN HAVE THEM CAL FOR YOU BUT UNSURE HOW LONG THAY WOULD TAKE. SOME BETTER A&P FACILITYS HAVE THE DEVICE FOR CHECKING BIT YOU REMOVE THE END CAP AND LOOSEN JAM NUT AND INCREASE OR DECREASE SPRING PRESSURE.

Last edited:
Back