What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset Plug Locations

JimP

For those that mounted the headset jacks forward of the main spar, where did you locate them for the lease amount of interference with knees, stick, etc. I'm thinking about mounting on the lower panel flange, as far outboard as possible. I'd like the keep the jacks mounted forward to keep from running those cables to the aft fuselage.

Jim

Jim:

I have mine mounted as you describe and have had no issues with them in that location.

Regards,

Mine are on the outboard edges of the sub panel (forward of the instrument panel). Working fine for almost 14 years.

Okay, mebbe I am missin something buuuutttt,

Why not locate them in the center?

If they are outboard, they will ALWAYS be in the way upon ingress and egress.

I was planning on either centrally locating them or behind the seat backs.

:confused: CJ

Captain_John said:

Mine are located outboard and the headset hangar is outboard and forward. I don't have any problem of them being in the way. The cord goes between the fuselage wall and the seat and that is a place I don't go with my body or legs, getting in or out.

To me it seems like a central plug would cause problems, because the headset itself seems like it would, most logically be on the side, so you have cords going across.

Because my arms are always in the middle doing things like throttle, mixture, radio, flaps, etc. Left arm is pretty much always on the stick. Headset is laying on the wing during entry. nothing in the way.

Captain_John said:

I was planning on either centrally locating them or behind the seat backs.

:confused: CJ

Hmmm....I guess I don't quite get what you're "getting at". The center would be just about the worst place IMHO. In both my RV6's and now in the -7 I'm building they will be in the outboard corners of the panel. I've flown in and just about installed them everywhere you can imagine (and a few places you probably wouldn't) and I just haven't found a better place.

Ingress and Egress...I just toss my headset up on the glareshield when I'm done, etc... or just lay it on the wing, or just clap it over the side of the fuselage, so on and so forth.

In the center of the plane first you have to figure out how the wires are going to get there from your head (in mine it just goes from the left side of my head along with side of the plane and into the panel....no fussing). Also in the center of most of the RV's is Throttle, Prop, Mixutre Knobs, either a flap handle or flap switch, the radio stack which you're fiddling with in flight, fuel selector knob, and sometimes elevator & aileron trim knobs.

Just my 2 cents, but I've tried 'em all and until someone comes out with a truly good wireless headset the corners of the panel seem to be my 1st choice! The tipper guys have a bit more of an elegant solution as you can put them in the rollover bar behind you and it seems to work great, but in the sliders the panel works best....but that's only my opinion.

Cheers,
Stein.

Thanks All, Stein... I am planning tipper so the glareshield is out.

Being a Cherokee, Citabria and Cessna driver the idea of putting them on the wing NEVER crossed my mind!

I did this in a Tigger and ya know, it DID work out well!

I am now considering hanging them on the roll bar with a plug installed back there somewhere.

Has anyone done this?

Was it Dan's site I saw this on?

:) CJ

Another pic....

Captain_John said:
Why not locate them in the center? If they are outboard, they will ALWAYS be in the way upon ingress and egress. I was planning on either centrally locating them or behind the seat backs. :confused: CJ
Here's an older pic showing the pilot's headset where I place it before getting in or out (focus on the pilot headset....not the passenger's):

Panel.jpg

I lean them up against the side of the fuse and have plenty of room for moving my legs around while getting in/out. As others said above, having the cord in the bay between the seat and fuse skin keeps it away from everything that moves (arms) in the cockpit.

The other benefit that you can see in the picture is that if your headset has a in-line volume control it is easily velcroed to the spar channel cover.

b,
d

Back