What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB - IN system recommendations

junglejetter67

I'm New Here
I've been trying to find info here and online about getting a ADSB - IN system for our RV-8a and haven't had much luck (Im not even sure where to post this in the forums). I'm not an avionics guy so what I do find starts to make my eyes glaze over or doesn't seem to answer my questions. So I'm hoping the brain trust here might have some advice.

I'd like to get a ADSB-IN setup, something hopefully on the more inexpensive side. I currently have an AvMap EKP IV on the panel and will be replacing it with the display unit, so I'd be looking for a display size of around 7.5" x 5". (This can vary so size is not critical.) Also I've read about antenna/unit incompatibility 'surprises' that are not documented in the equipment literature -any pitfalls I should look out for?

If anyone's got a setup the really like, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Does anyone like/recommend/hate iPad's and apps for this use?

Thanks in advance - I appreciate the info and help.

Byron Evans
[email protected]

My opinions, others may differ:
1. For weather, there is no hurry or expediency, an iPad on our lap is just fine.
2. For traffic, you really want the display to be on the panel, near your centerline (or an audio alert). You don't want to be flying around with your eyes on your lap all the time.

For weather, an iPad or iPad mini will couple wirelessly to any number of ADSB-in boxes. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a mini.

For traffic, first priority would be an ADSB-in box that can talk to an existing display. So the first question, what is in your panel now? If none, think about how you would mount an iPad near the center of your vision, maybe just right of ASI?

Personally I use SkyRadar D2 for ADSB-in, with its antennas glued to my fiberglass doorposts (RV-10) and the box itself hidden. It couples wirelessly to my iPad and iPad mini (running either Skyradar's own program, or WingX (but Foreflight won't work)). It is also hard wired (RS232) into my GRT HX display. I usually do not use the iPads unless I am not the pilot flying, and I just want to play around and look at the weather 1000 miles away. The HX shows traffic in general; close in traffic "pops up" on the PFD page, as well as an audio alert. Wx shows on the map page.

If you are in love with Foreflight, then you're stuck with Stratus for the ADSB-in box, as your only option. WingX (and GRT) work with a number of boxes. Garmin panels used to only work with Garmin boxes, although I understand Foreflight can now talk to them (??).

PS iPads in direct sunlight can be hard to read and/or overheat. In your lap, for weather, they're fine; mounted on the panel, maybe not so much.

Last edited:
My opinions, others may differ:
1. For weather, there is no hurry or expediency, an iPad on our lap is just fine.
2. For traffic, you really want the display to be on the panel, near your centerline (or an audio alert). You don't want to be flying around with your eyes on your lap all the time.

For weather, an iPad or iPad mini will couple wirelessly to any number of ADSB-in boxes. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a mini.

For traffic, first priority would be an ADSB-in box that can talk to an existing display. So the first question, what is in your panel now? If none, think about how you would mount an iPad near the center of your vision, maybe just right of ASI?

Personally I use SkyRadar D2 for ADSB-in, with its antennas glued to my fiberglass doorposts (RV-10) and the box itself hidden. It couples wirelessly to my iPad and iPad mini (running either Skyradar's own program, or WingX (but Foreflight won't work)). It is also hard wired (RS232) into my GRT HX display. I usually do not use the iPads unless I am not the pilot flying, and I just want to play around and look at the weather 1000 miles away. The HX shows traffic in general; close in traffic "pops up" on the PFD page, as well as an audio alert. Wx shows on the map page.

If you are in love with Foreflight, then you're stuck with Stratus for the ADSB-in box, as your only option. WingX (and GRT) work with a number of boxes. Garmin panels used to only work with Garmin boxes, although I understand Foreflight can now talk to them (??).

PS iPads in direct sunlight can be hard to read and/or overheat. In your lap, for weather, they're fine; mounted on the panel, maybe not so much.

To add to Bob's nice reply ...

Additional ADS-B "receivers" that will work with WingX and SEVERAL other apps, along with a GRT EFIS (serial, USB and some combo) include:

- DUAL (170 and the new 190)
- Flight Data Systems Remote
- iLevil AW and SW. Initial versions and the new "2" versions.

James

If you want the least expensive, go with the FltPlan Go app (free) and a compatible ADS-B recvr (Dual XGPS-170 for ~$500).

I use ForeFlight with the Stratus II and love the setup but it is pricey for the Stratus II.

Foreflight now works with FreeFlight's ADS-B in/out solution for more money and you then have a 2020 approved solution for out and iPad with FF for in.

"Traffic" not an option

with just an "in" box. You will only see "some" traffic, which gives you a false sense of security. The FAA has it configured so that you have to have an "out" signal to get true traffic. (and that is another story).

Fly safe!

Ron

Thanks!

Great - Thanks. I'm still at the planning stage and it may not even happen this year, but it's great to get info and feedback from people who've already taken the plunge.

Thanks again!

Back