What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Servo Noise

tinman

Well Known Member
I am just starting to test my avionics and have applied power to my Trio Altitude Hold Autopilot. When the servo is engaged, I get a "chucka chucka chucka" noise which comes and goes a few times a minute. I wondered if this is normal since I am sitting on the ground while I test. Is the servo "hunting" for an impossible solution?

servo noise

Mine does this also. I called the folks about this and they said that it was normal when it was on the ground. Now I am flying and the servo works very nice. I am sure yours will also.
6 hours on the meter and smiling.
RV-9A 0-320 C/S prop.

I am just starting to test my avionics and have applied power to my Trio Altitude Hold Autopilot. When the servo is engaged, I get a "chucka chucka chucka" noise which comes and goes a few times a minute. I wondered if this is normal since I am sitting on the ground while I test. Is the servo "hunting" for an impossible solution?

This is normal behavior caused by the nearly frictionless RV controls overshooting center and the servo trying to catch up. Once aerodynamic loads are applied in flight the system will perform as advertised. The same behavior is seen with wing levelers, too.

Once you start flying you will be spoiled by your EZ-Hold in about.........three minutes! :)

Thanks for the quick tips. I am amazed at how "smart" these avionics are. I have had a blast installing them and teaching them how to talk to my other avionics. The electrical system has been the greatest personal growth area on the project so far. I have learned so much and am the poster child for the benefits of the educational process while building your own flying machine.

Last edited:
Back