What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this possible

Brantel

Well Known Member
This stuff is way way in the future for me but I can't help but dream about major items like this.

Is it possible to fit a Dynon D100 and a D180 in a vertical stacked configuration in a RV7? I will also want to have backup airspeed, a TT ADI Pilot II AP (backup TC, AI, and DG), and a backup Alt. crammed around them as well.

Will NOT work in Van's standard panel but will work with somev3rd party extended panels.

Don't know about the equipment you listed, but...

I ordered a panel that was one inch taller then standard for my RV9A. There is plenty of leg room under the panel and I needed the extra height to fit my BMA EFIS Sport and EFIS Lite, one above the other.

Kent

kentb said:
I ordered a panel that was one inch taller then standard for my RV9A. There is plenty of leg room under the panel and I needed the extra height to fit my BMA EFIS Sport and EFIS Lite, one above the other.

Kent
Kent-Where'd you get a panel that was one inch taller? From Van's? If so, did you have to special order it cut? I've been planning to just buy a big sheet of .063 and do it myself, but if they're already available...

If you want a taller panel...MAKE ONE! Buy some .063" sheet. If you don't have access to a bending brake to bend the flange at the bottom, just rivet an angle on there instead!

My panel is just shy of 2" taller than standard. Made it just like I said. And I cheated...I used the original panel to "pre-punch" the homemade one for the top stiffener angle rivet holes. It was a piece of cake.

Panel-wise, if you can dream it up, you can do it. Whether it's fiberglass with aluminum panel inlays, or one piece aluminum...whatever you envision, build it!

Check out Affordable Panels

Affordable Panels makes longer panels for 7's and 9's, tip-up or sliders.

Here's the link.

I bought one of their standard kits with the switch panel and it looks GREAT!

One word of caution, they are not exactly "affordable" but when you realize how easy future maintenance is, it is money well spent.

There are pictures on my web site on how to install their panel, if you are curious.

Last edited:
Got it from Van's

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Kent-Where'd you get a panel that was one inch taller? From Van's? If so, did you have to special order it cut? I've been planning to just buy a big sheet of .063 and do it myself, but if they're already available...

I called Van's intending to order the sheet of aluminum to bend and cut my taller panel, but when I talked to Scott Risen about what I was needing, he told me that he could just have the CAD/milling machine just cut the same panel taller and how much did I want added. I came with the same holes and shape, but with an extra inch on the bottom before the bend. I think that it cost me about $10.00 more then the standard blank panel.

I used my original panel to practice making holes for instruments. :D

Kent

Back