What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gemini AP......DONE!

TrutrakTech

Well Known Member
It took longer than we planned, but we wanted it to be as good as it possibly can. And I can tell you right now, this autopilot is the best one we've ever made. I appreciate everyone being patient while we wrapped up the long development on this. If you'll give me a few more days to work on some manuals, we'll get the first ones out the door by the end of the week!

First three Gemini AP have shipped!

On Friday, we shipped the first three Gemini AP units. At least three more will be shipping today and probably the same for each day this week!

The operating manual states "Not on the face of the unit, but also
integral pieces of the autopilot system are the control wheel steering
button or CWS button, and the AP LEVEL button."

Where are these integral pieces, since they aren't on the face of the unit?

Thanks!

Plug and Play replacement for ADI II

Lucas
Is this also the plug and play replacement for the ADI II (i.e. do not need servos, brackets etc)

Thanks!

I cannot say for this specific unit, but usually one button on the stick is devoted to CWS ("CONTROL WHEEL" steering). It usually doubles as an autopilot disconnect.

Thanks!

The CWS would be a button on your stick.
The AP Level button is a push button located remotely somewhere on your panel that can be pushed in an emergency type situation.

Plug & Play...

Figs,

The Gemini AP wires EXACTLY like the Vizion. There are slight differences between your ADI Pilot II (and the Digiflight II series), but these are all taken care of by the included adapter harness that we provide with all upgrades. The only other issue that you might see would be that the mounting screw holes aren't exactly the same as the ADI Pilot II. The Gemini AP follows the standard 3-1/8" instrument mounting pattern and the ADI Pilot II was slightly different in the lower portion due to the knobs. I think that you will be in pretty good shape! If you pitot / static lines are short, then you might also have to lengthen those slightly because the Gemini AP is so much thinner than the ADI Pilot II.

Lucas will surely correct me if I made any stupid mistakes in what I wrote above...that's why I'm not generally allowed to make posts. I end up promising things that are not possible, or something bad like that :)

Thanks!

They are separate. The CWS is supplied by you and is GENERALLY on the yoke/stick. The AP level button is supplied with the Gemini AP and is a remote mounted button. Anywhere you want it!

Lucas
Is this also the plug and play replacement for the ADI II (i.e. do not need servos, brackets etc)

As Andrew noted below, it is. You will also want to upgrade your pitch servo so that you have a trim sensor in it. Let me know if you're interested and I can get you a full upgrade quote.

I cannot say for this specific unit, but usually one button on the stick is devoted to CWS ("CONTROL WHEEL" steering). It usually doubles as an autopilot disconnect.

Bingo!

The CWS would be a button on your stick.
The AP Level button is a push button located remotely somewhere on your panel that can be pushed in an emergency type situation.

Double bingo!

Figs,

The Gemini AP wires EXACTLY like the Vizion. There are slight differences between your ADI Pilot II (and the Digiflight II series), but these are all taken care of by the included adapter harness that we provide with all upgrades. The only other issue that you might see would be that the mounting screw holes aren't exactly the same as the ADI Pilot II. The Gemini AP follows the standard 3-1/8" instrument mounting pattern and the ADI Pilot II was slightly different in the lower portion due to the knobs. I think that you will be in pretty good shape! If you pitot / static lines are short, then you might also have to lengthen those slightly because the Gemini AP is so much thinner than the ADI Pilot II.

Lucas will surely correct me if I made any stupid mistakes in what I wrote above...that's why I'm not generally allowed to make posts. I end up promising things that are not possible, or something bad like that :)

Triple bingo!!!! :D

New pitch servo

Lucas
If I have to change out the pitch servo for the version that has the trim sensor does that mean I have to add additional wiring from the servo to the head unit?

You shouldn't have to. The diagram for the ADI Pilot II specifies the wire for the trim sensing in it, so it should already be there. Thanks!

Back