What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B

Mycool

Well Known Member
Ok, I met a great fellow builder and future hangar mate and we discussed preparing the aircraft for ads-b

I am planning to to just run a transponder antenna dedicated for adsb and deal with the equipment in 2020. Hopefully it will be a lot cheaper then.

For crying out loud I'm building an aircraft I've got a lot more to think about then adsb!

Any thoughts or opinions about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your strategy. I'm hoping there are lots of affordable ADS-B options that will be developed in the next 4+ years. Build on and don't let it be a distraction.

I recall when ifr gps boxes came out. "Surely in ten years they'll be a lot more affordable"' I thought.
Walt Disney's First Law: "Wishing will make it so."

ADSB

If you are comfortable waiting till 2020, then wait. There have already been some offerings this year that are lower cost to experimentals and there was a clarification (rewording?) of the rules this year. I expect that over the next four years, there will be other innovations and offerings that will come avail especially given the shear number of experimentials that make up the market share and buying power. Some folks don't like to wait and have already invested a small fortune and will advise you to do the same. Others who are more discriminatory with their discressionary hard earned dollars will take the chance and wait it out knowing that lower cost solutions, including used equipment, may come available.
My advice? If you fly for fun, then wait patiently for the best deal.
Good luck and best wishes.
Cj

Ok, I met a great fellow builder and future hangar mate and we discussed preparing the aircraft for ads-b

I am planning to to just run a transponder antenna dedicated for adsb and deal with the equipment in 2020. Hopefully it will be a lot cheaper then.

For crying out loud I'm building an aircraft I've got a lot more to think about then adsb!

Any thoughts or opinions about this?

From my understanding, as long as you have the antenna pre wired to panel you can remotely locate the adsb receiver (either out or in/out) anywhere.

Are there any issues with having an open end rg400 in the panel. The other end is connected to antenna?

Self-contained solution.

I'm also waiting for flight, but the use of ADS-B IN is a safety issue, not a mandate issue.

I have a KT76A transponder, and I believe the NavWorx ADS600-EXP or Garmin GDL84 self-contained units are the solution for me.

Add a tablet and some software and you get the mandatory and safety solutions.

And I HATE to be greedy, but if the NavWorx unit had an AHRS, that would be PERFECT!

CC

From my understanding, as long as you have the antenna pre wired to panel you can remotely locate the adsb receiver (either out or in/out) anywhere.

Are there any issues with having an open end rg400 in the panel. The other end is connected to antenna?

No issues with the open coax. But keep in mind that, depending on your ultimate solution, you may not want the coax routed to the panel. Many UATs and some SES transponders are designed to be remote-mounted, as I think you said.

No issues with the open coax. But keep in mind that, depending on your ultimate solution, you may not want the coax routed to the panel. Many UATs and some SES transponders are designed to be remote-mounted, as I think you said.

Bob raises a good point. It will depend on the solution you end up implementing on what the cable requirements may be. Many of the Navwork units are remotely installed. Navworx also recommends that the UAT antenna be located ten feet from the transponder antenna. (at least that is the distance I recall from memory).

I agree with Greg, think its 5 feet. Anyone seen installation sheet or manual for the NavWorx 600-EXP with the transponspe ( sp) interface? I see the installation manual and set up for the XXX-B STC model on their web site.

UPDATED Found an installation manual ( where else Google search ).

Last edited:
Back