What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Securing brake lines

ddurakovich

Well Known Member
Is there a prevailing consensus on securing aluminum brake lines to the gear legs?

Looking for both temporary (during Phase 1), and more permanent (after fairings) solutions if they are different.

While a big duct tape fan, I'm not sure if I'm really THAT big of a duct tape fan :eek:

I'm going to run soft aluminum from the firewall down to the calipers.... just haven't decided whether to to go all the way or use some length of flex for the last little bit.

Thanks,

Dave

What I have done

I have not yet installed the fairings. Since mine is an "A", the brake line is at the front of the leg. I used duct tape, multiple layers, in 3 or 4 places. I protected the soft aluminum tubing where taped with short lengths of nylon (?) tube, slit to go over it. It has been entirely satisfactory from the viewpoint of staying where it's put. I have no idea if this is a good long term solution, but hose clamps are heavier and in my view more likely to cut things. I'm sure the extra drag is immense, but it'l be OK when covered with the leg fairing. Experts may have much better suggestions.

brake lines

I installed plastic lines (secured to the back of the landing gear legs) and put the aluminum lines inside that. My gear legs are the wood/foam and fiberglass, so if any repairs has to be done to the aluminum lines I had to have a way to get them out. Incidently this annual I found that one of the lines where it goes around the caliper was squashed almost flat. The brake still works fine so I have not replaced it but may have to and I am real glad that the line will just pull out of the gearleg.....I still have not figured out how this happened ?? :rolleyes:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3471/imgp4646kx3.jpg
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3039/imgp4647op4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I used AN3 size flex lines (teflon lined), I attached them to the gear legs with fiberglass packing tape with plastic spiral wrap first put on the lines so they wouldn't abrade on the gear leg...

DSC_1024.jpg

Back