What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting Radio Rack

Jim P

Well Known Member
For those with long avionics trays that extend through the sub-panel, did you secure the radio rack to the sub-panel or just allow to "float" in the recess? I have a tip-up and am trying to determine if I need to secure the trays to the sub-panel, or just just ensure it's supported?

Jim

Support your local radios

I'm just getting started on this as well (7A Tipup). I only have 1 radio (SL30) that actually extends into the sub panel, but I plan to attach all the radio racks together at their aft-ends with a strip of AL sheet. Since the racks are all different lengths it will be a 2-3" wide strip. Then I will either attach that strip to the sub-panel, or just support the SL-30 tray at the sub panel. Just having the radios cantileverd off the IP is not a good idea IMHO. I'd be making a support off the sub-panel even if none of the radios went through it.

I wasn't sure on that one either, but figured for the $$$ that would be bouncing around at a few G--better safe than sorry. A nice side effect is that is really made the panel quite a bit more solid.

Tray support

My stack is as follows, Garmin 340, Garmin 430, Garmin SL 40 (Apollo), Garmin 330S.

I used a diagonal band on the sides to tie all the trays together after getting the alignment set. The trays are support on the back of the main panel with angle top to bottom. On the sub panel, I have a small piece of angle that ties into the 430 tray. Everything is snug and aligned.

BTW, If you use all Garmin products the face of the trays when aligned will make the radios flush when mounted. Integrating the Apollo SL 30 or 40 into the stack will require their tray to be set approximately a 1/16th forward of the others for proper alignment.

Thanks

Thanks Dave, that was my general thought. I had to move the left panel rib out of the way for the GRT displays, so I'm hoping that if I secure the radio stack, to the sub-panel, I can get away without the left panel rib.

Jim

Jim P said:
For those with long avionics trays that extend through the sub-panel, did you secure the radio rack to the sub-panel or just allow to "float" in the recess?........Jim
Jim,
I was not 100% sure what I did, but took hundreds of detail shots during construction and found these two detailing the back of the Garmin 430 protruding through the (slider) subpanel. As you can see, I supported the rear with angle stock and .125 shim material probably used to better pick up existing holes in the back of the rack. The combined weight of the three avionics components tied together is substantial and I probably thought it best to support the package as solidly as possible.
img001030editrw6.jpg

radiostack0330cg1.jpg

Slider instrument top deck

As I am getting to this stage on my 7 i wondered if anyone who has built (or nearly finished) a slider considered assembling the top deck with instruments and wiring on the bench and then installed the whole assembly in the fuselage.
I managed to finagle the completed assembly out of the fuselage yesterday and it seems that this would be much easier than doing everything in place.(currently planning a dual D-100 setup)
Am I missing something?
Also it seems that riveting the forward top skin will be a bear to get to the back side, are there tips for this?

Sub panels, exterior access panels and hinged panels

uk_figs said:
Also it seems that riveting the forward top skin will be a bear to get to the back side, are there tips for this?
You probably thought of this but, its almost a must I think, make sub panels, left of stack (flt insts) and right (glove box).

You are right, getting back there after its all assembled will be less than fun.

The other idea or in addition is cut access panels in the forward top skin. Dan C. did this and is a big fan of it. I'm not going to do it, but its a thought. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=2128&highlight=hinged

With removable sub panels and "service lead". You have to route the wire bundle from the back of the radio or display and forward to the panel. This allows you room to pull the sub panel out, so you can un-plug and disconnect the wiring. Once the panel is out you can get to the stack or trays.

Last a very clever son of a gun on this forum has pictures of his hinged panel in a RV6/7/9 somewhere but can't find the thread, but I emailed two pictures to you. This takes some excellent planning and thought. He did a fantastic job. I'm not doing this either, but it's another idea.

Bottom line, you can do most of the work on the bench and install panel with equip installed. Doing this with the whole panel is a little unweildy, so the sub panel idea is a little better. Of course you need the some service connector to disconnect each panel from the other sub-panel'(s) or airframe. I used Molex plugs for the disconnects (white nylon with pins, cheap and reliable).

Last edited:
Slide In Q.

Question....

Has anyone come up with a true "slide-in" arrangement for their radio stack?

I was thinking of something like the Affordable Panel L/R subpanels that George mentions, with the radio stack "L" bracket flange held under the subpanels... but don't know what to do about the rear or side support... they can't stick out sideways it the stack is to slide forward...

Anyone got any bright ideas for this??

If this can be pulled off, working on the avionics should be easy. A few connectors, and the entire radio stack can pull out for bench work or an upgrade...

gil in Tucson

Good idea, great minds

az_gila said:
Question.... Has anyone come up with a true "slide-in" arrangement for their radio stack? gil in Tucson
I dreamed about it once. I was in a scandinavian furniture store buying some replacement hardware for my bed room dresser. They have these cool ball bearing slide tracks and thought, HEY, that would be a cool way to remove a sub panel. No plan just dream. I notice in the Boeing, many items slide out of trays and the connector comes with the unit. There is enough service lead or pigtail slack to get it out and disconnect. They usually are Mil Spec round plugs. Very easy to get out. Now the wires remain, but the unit comes out easy.

I gave up on the idea and figured I could pull the panel straight out my self without a track. The idea is keep the sub panels small and leave the wire slack enough to leave room to pull it out and work on it or disconnect it.

Back