What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Importing RV from Canada to US - questions

von_flyer

Well Known Member
Advertiser
After lurking here for a few months I figured it's time to come out of the shadows and tap into some of the vast knowledge residing here. I searched the forums but cannot find specific data for this question.

What are the required steps to purchase a RV in Canada and import it to the US? Hoping someone here has done this recently and can list out the procedure. I am hoping to not use a broker but perhaps that is a requirement or only practical way.

By searching the forums here I did pick up on some pointers like de-registering the airplane AFTER it is here in the US at the home airport.

Obviously the situation I want to avoid is buying an airplane and then have it sit for months while the paperwork is processed.

Thanks in advance...

John

The first thing you should consider doing is going to your local FSDO? office and ask some questions about what needs to happen and how they would like you to proceed.
I have sold aircraft into the US and the easiest route is for the owner to fly the plane to your location. After that the Canadian owner returns home and deregisters the aircraft. This process used to happen within in a day or so.
Now you can start the US registration process, based on your local office this can take a few days or a few weeks.

fringe benefits....

John, sounds like lurking is 'working' for you.....with the Canadian dollar slowly sliding into oblivion, Rv's are about $100 cheaper here...every day you wait! :)
Good luck with your search & import process.

Thank you for the quick responses, this forum never disappoints. :D

Another part of this exchange would be transferring funds. Having never done this internationally, does a simple bank transfer work? Do they normally calculate an exchange rate near the 'official' one?

I will take your advice and any more that comes my way into consideration as I move forward with this endeavor. I have flown a 6 and a 7 and have been around them for some time now. Having sold my '04 Citabria last fall the decision was made, it is time to go faster. RV's are an obvious choice. I have rebuilt vintage aircraft and owned experimental aircraft in the past. The goal of someday building from start to finish is on the 'bucket list'.

John

Bank Transfer

International bank wire transfers are simple enough, done all the time. You do have to watch how much they ding you for the exchange rate though. If you shop around you should be able to find a firm that will give you a decent exchange rate.

We have a place in this part of Canada called "Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange" who will do transfers in any currency. I have saved as much as $2,000 with them on a $50,000 transfer over the banks exchange rate. You might want to look into transferring US funds to someone like that who will exchange it and transfer it to the sellers account.

USD BAnk Accounts

John

Ditto on what Gary says above...I have one and it is really useful if you do transactions in USD..

You could ask your seller to open a USD Bank account with his bank and then do the wire transfert..it will simplified things a lot

He will probably get a better rate this way on the exchange,I know I do...

Good luck with the purchase.

Bruno

An important thing to remember is that to certificate any aircraft as Amateur-Built in the US, regardless of where it comes from, you must be able to prove that the aircraft was truly amateur-built (51%) meeting US rules.

Be sure to obtain builder logs and other information to comply to this rule.

Back