What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Garmin AP servo settings please

humptybump

Well Known Member
I've recently installed a G3X system with AP and Garmin servos. I'm not totally happy with the performance yet. The altitude and VNAV seem pretty good. The tracking seems very robotic. It will roll a little and then level the wings then a few seconds later it will repeat or it will reverse the roll and then level again. It's very noticeable to me.

This can't be normal for a Garmin AP. It's nothing like my prior AP which made micro adjustments and you never really noticed any track adjustments - even in turbulence.

G3X Settings ...

The roll servo settings are: Torque 50%, Gain 0.80

The pitch servo settings are: Torque 50%, Gain 1.00

If I set the roll gain above 1.00, the plane rocks left&right.

Last edited:
the weather here has been horrible for a grass runway. Today was my first opportunity to run the tests and calibration setup recommended by G3Xpert. Here are my new settings:

Roll Servo
· Max Torque = 20%
· Servo Gain = 0.50
· Fine Adjust Amount = 1
· Fine Adjust Time = 0.20
Pitch Servo
· Max Torque = 20%
· Servo Gain = 1.20
· Fine Adjust Amount = 1
· Fine Adjust Time = 0.20​

I could have used 15% torque but it felt too soft for me. The fine adjustment settings are also a personal preference. The AP was good without them.

This is definitely a case of "your mileage may vary".

My continued thanks and appreciation for the exceptional service and support from Garmin. They are a class act!

The test flight was uneventful and the weather was great - just a small wind at altitude. Upon returning to 53VG, I really stuck the landing - you'd think I caught the Number 2 wire on a carrier. Shortest landing I've had without some insane headwind.

Last edited:
Back