What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixed pitch choice

rvator9a

Well Known Member
I'm currently at the point of ordering a prop for my 9A that I am powering with a O-290. I have looked at a few and I seem to come back to either a sterba or catto. Catto seems to be popular but sterba wins hands down on price. I am looking for input from people who have experience with fixed pitch props, keeping in mind that price is on of my priorities. Thanks Bob Collins

I presently have a Catto Prop on my RV-6. It replaced a Sterba Propeller that worked very well on the airplane, but I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains alot. Flying the Sterba Prop in rain means throttling back to about 2100 RPMs to keep the rain from damaging the finish. I had hoped the Catto Propeller would eliminate the problem with rain, but it too was damaged while flying in the rain. I recently sent the prop to Catto for repair and installation of Rain Guard on the leading edge. I haven't flown it in the rain yet, so the jury is still out.
The wood propellers require constant re-torquing with weather changes. With the Catto Prop, you tighten it to specification and basically leave it alone, but I'll be checking on it from time to time.

Bob Severns

I also stated with a Sterba, and ended up with a Catto. Sterba makes a fine prop and is a good guy to deal with (as is Craig Catto) and if your mission profile does not have you flying in rain much, then I would recommend the Sterba. Any wood prop will require re-torquing several times a year, but this is not a big job.

Another Choice

The Prince P-Tip props are worth a look. If you are going to spend the bigger bucks for Catto, consider Prince too. I like mine. I cannot tell yet about any direct comparisons. Lead time is much better with Prince.
http://www.princeaircraft.com/
I have no connection with Mr. Prince other than I had one of his props on my Moni and now I have one on my -7A.

Back