What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Longest Trip Yet: Bill Stratton (part I)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...by Bill Stratton (RV-8)

It?s a beautiful Wednesday morning, October 11th, 2006. At 09:00 am N149TS, My Genie, (my RV-8) has her tail in the air rolling down runway 18 at Cannon Creek airpark in Lake City, FL headed for the Land of Enchantment RV fly-in at Santa Teresa, NM. I climb to 2,000 feet and head for Flying Little River airpark to rendezvous with Jerry Cornwell in his RV-8, Stinger. I can see Jerry at the end of runway 18 ready for takeoff. I make one 360 degree turn and fall in on Jerry?s left wing. We climb to 6,500 feet and level off. We have 1,249 nautical miles to travel, but right now we are headed for a fuel stop at M43, Prentiss- Jefferson airport in Mississippi, 385 nautical miles ahead.
Just East of Tallahassee, FL we start picking up clouds. We climb to 8,500 to clear the tops. Jerry is seeing isolated thunderstorm cells on his Garmin 496, but they are South of our route. This is wonderful information to have. West of Tallahassee we climb to 10,500 to clear some higher clouds. The clouds start clearing East of Evergreen, AL and we descend to 6,500 feet, then 4,500 feet. We are bucking a 25 knot headwind. It seems to be about the same at all altitudes. Prentiss is reporting 2,000 feet broken so we go down to 3,000 feet, then 2,000 feet for the last few miles into our fuel stop.

After 2:56 minutes we are on the ground at M43. When I did my flight planning I checked air nav for cheap fuel prices. The fuel is $3.50 per gallon. The airport is unattended but has self service fuel, just as the AOPA airport directory reported. It?s a beautiful airport with a runway that looks new. The FBO building has cold drinks, hotdogs, buns and snacks. I get two hotdogs from the fridge, heat them up in the microwave, add mustard and ketchup, grab a sprite and sit down to my gourmet lunch. It sure beats a pack of crackers and a drink (the normal pilot lunch when you are flying).

There is a disposable camera on the desk with an instruction sheet that says sign the log sheet and take a picture of your airplane by the fuel pump. Jerry and I comply and we depart as a flight of two.

We climb up through a hole and level out at 6,500 feet on top of a beautiful cloud deck. Jerry?s 496 reports that the clouds will start clearing up ahead and it will become CAVU (clear air, visibility unlimited). When we reach the Mississippi river the clouds are gone and we have a good view. As we enter Louisiana the 25 knot headwind is gone, its now 30 knots. We are going to land and spend the night at BWD, Brownwood Texas. After 3 hours and 30 minutes, 462 nautical miles we are on the ground at Brownwood. Sometimes I land and sometimes I arrive. There is a stiff crosswind and this is definitely one of my arrivals.

We top off the tanks for $3.24 a gallon, self service. The friendly personnel in the FBO point out open hangar spots for us to tie the RV-8s down in and provide us with a vehicle we can keep overnight for our 3 mile trip to the motel. This is a wonderful place to stop for fuel or an overnight visit. They go above and beyond to please you. The birds are fueled, tied down, and the daily collection of bugs cleaned off so we head for the Comfort Inn in Early, TX. This is a really nice motel with a heated indoor pool, a hot tub, computer room and an exercise room. Jerry and I have a mesquite grilled steak at Humphrey Pete?s along with a couple of nice cold beverages, hit the pool and hot tub and go to bed. Its been a beautiful day but the old bones are tired.

We awake Thursday morning to CAVU and depart Brownwood on our final leg to 5T6, Santa Teresa. We climb as a flight of two to 8,500 feet. After flying in the East with the haze and smog this visibility is unbelievable. I tell Jerry, I think I can see all the way to California. There are oil wells everywhere and I ask Jerry to buy me one but he refuses. East of El Paso we climb to 10,500 feet to cross the mountain range between El Paso and New Mexico. We could have cleared it at 8,500 but being the flat land flyers we are, we want a lot of clearance and climbing 2,000 feet in an RV is no problem. We clear the mountains and descend to the 5,110 foot pattern altitude for a landing on runway 10. I make a nice smooth landing and it really feels good after the arrivals at the previous two stops. After 2 hours and 51 minutes, 402 nautical miles we taxi in and shut down. There is one RV-6 on the field so we are number 2 and 3 to arrive. We are met by Frank from the War Eagles Air Museum (the host for the fly-in) with a cold bottle of water and a warm welcome. While we are tying down the birds an RV-4 and RV-6A taxi in. A beautiful trip across a beautiful country in an airplane that I build. It all seems like a dream, I don?t dare pinch myself, I might wake up.

Pic:​
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9851/img0818kf0.jpg

The rental car is waiting at the airport so we load up and head for town to check in our motel. The airplanes are in New Mexico and we are staying in Texas. We have lunch and ride back out to the airport to watch the planes come in. At the end of the day there are 16 RV?s on the field but tomorrow is the big day for arrivals. Friday morning we have breakfast at the motel and head for the airport. We tour the museum, it is full of beautifully restored airplanes and old cars. We spend most of the day talking to all the new arrivals. We meet two guys from Maine (Ron and Ralph), over 1800 miles in an RV-8 that has just been completed, no paint yet. At 04:00 pm the Friday social hour starts. A local brewery has four different kinds of beer to try. Jerry and I try two kinds and decide that it has too strong a taste for us old guys. We spend all day Saturday making new friends. We meet three other guys from Florida. Saturday night at 6:00pm the banquet starts. This is the big event of the fly-in. We have a wonderful meal. The hangar doors are opened and there is a Western sunset that words can?t describe. At our table there are people from Florida, Maine and Washington state so we have three corners of the country covered. The aircraft judging is complete and the awards are passed out. Out of 110 RV?s on the field Jerry Cornwell and Stinger once again win Grand Champion. Congratulations Jerry. It's now time for the raffle. There are some really nice prizes that have been donated. All the proceeds are being donated to two local charities. Over $14,000 dollars has been raised. I have my tickets and I am ready to collect my new Garmin 496 but no such luck. Maybe next year.

Last edited:
The Longest Trip Yet: Bill Stratton (part II)

Sunday morning we wake up to rain and a low overcast. Everyone is at the airport watching the sky. A few people depart IFR. I tell one of the local fellows that Kathy and I flew a Cessna 172 through this area 32 years ago and caused it to rain then and here I am causing rain again. We decide that we can not get very far to the East and we have a car here and know the area now so we will spend one more night here. Someone makes the comment that every time a pilot takes off in weather like this and hits a mountain, a few days later they bury him on a bright sunny day. We all agree and know that we have made the right decision.

Monday morning the weather is beautiful but the bad weather is across Texas between us and Brownwood. We wait it out most of the morning and then depart as a flight of three (The RV-8 from Maine is with us) for an overnight stop at BWD. We have a tail wind and are seeing 175 to 180 knot ground speeds. This is fantastic. We land at Brownwood with all the bad weather 50 miles ahead of us. Ron and Ralph refuel and depart for Oklahoma. They wind up spending the night at Ada. As we are unloading the airplanes Ron from Florida (a guy we met at the fly-in) lands in his T-28 (he is building an RV-7). My RV-8 takes 17 gallons of fuel and Ron puts 100 gallons in the T-28.

Jerry and I spend the night and Tuesday morning we depart for Tuscaloosa, AL to spend a night with Jerry?s sister and her husband. This is the longest leg of the trip, 583 nautical miles. It takes three hours and 26 minutes and I burn 26.6 gallons of fuel. The weather is beautiful but we can tell that we are following a severe weather system. All the fields in Louisiana and Mississippi are flooded. They look like rice fields. We fly over Barksdale AFB, I was stationed there in 1968-1969 and it is good to see the place again. As we cross the Mississippi river we see boats with a long line of barges navigating the river. I wonder if one of them is our neighbor, Paul Roos.

We awake Wednesday morning ready for our last leg of the trip. The weather system we have been following across the country is now between Tallahassee and Lake City. We depart Tuscaloosa headed for Lake City with plans to stop for lunch if necessary. As we get close to home the weather is over the Lake City- Live Oak area so we divert to Cook County at Adel, Ga. After lunch we head for home. Lake City is reporting 1,200 feet broken with 7 miles visibility. We descend to 1,000 feet 35 miles out and dodge the cells that the Garmin 496 is showing. It is no problem getting to Cannon Creek for a landing on runway 27.

I have traveled 2,570 nautical miles (2960 statue) at an average speed of 148 knots (170 mph). I flew 17 hours and 26 minutes, burned 136 gallons of avgas for an average fuel burn of 7.77 gallons per hour, 21.76 miles per gallon. These RV?s are wonderful airplanes.

Life is Good.

Bill.

Back