What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL40 - 396 Remote Comm Lists

petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

I just installed a 396 with my SL40. I was amazed to find that when I hit the RCL button on the SL40, the display changed to KANE (local airport) and by rotating the inner tuning knob, I could scroll through TWR, GND, APP, DEP, ATIS and a few other freqs. I looked in the manuals and understand this is a remote list loaded from the 396 - but not how it got there, or if it is automatic. We have another airport a few miles over (KMIC) how can I tell the SL40 to load these freqs? Or does the SL40 just load the nearest airport?

Thanks for any help.

petehowell said:
We have another airport a few miles over (KMIC) how can I tell the SL40 to load these freqs? Or does the SL40 just load the nearest airport?
try to create a route that includes the required airport as a waypoint, and the frequencies should be pulled from the database and sent to the SL40 automagically once you're approaching the airport, even if only overflying. Did not try this in real life but it did work in simulation mode on my desk, sniffing the RS-232 data from the Garmin...

If you'd have an SL30, you would have noticed that the VOR frequencies are also sent by the 296/396/496 to the SL30... neat feature! ;)

Ciao, Luca

Thanks Luca

I was thinking automagic might be involved! This is a nice feature I did not know about or expect!

Ciao - right back at ya and thanks.

Hi Pete,

There's a section ("VHF Comm") in the back of the 396 manual that details how this works:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP396_GPSMAP396PilotsGuide.pdf

With the SL40, the GPS will pick the "best" airport to feed to the radio, based on where you are, where you're going, where you're coming from, and what's nearby. The SL30 supports more than one airport's worth of frequencies, so with that radio you'll get multiple airports sent over, with the "best" one always first.

cheers,
mcb

Thanks Matt

I read the SL40 and 396 manual it it was not clear how this works - but I am glad it does. So as I fly over airports, the GPS will zap data to the SL 40 using some logic in the the 396. I like it!

Back