What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil filter relocation kit

N941WR

Legacy Member
Any recommendations for an oil filter relocation kit?

My O-290 only has a screen and I would sure like to add a filter but can?t swallow the cost of the relocation kits. Surely there has to be a more cost effective solution out there.

That might just be the ticket

I was thinking of a firewall mounted filter but that might just work.

Although I flew behind a C-65 in my '41 T-Craft for years with nothing but a screen I really like the idea of a filter.

This might just be better

Mahlon,

After looking over the two filters I think that might just be better than a remote mount.

Which do you recommend for my O-290 powered -9? Which adaptor makes it easier to remove the filter without spilling oil all over the place?

I don't have the engine mount yet and it might be wise for me to wait until it arrives, probably late this year or early next, before ordering it. That way I can make sure I will have room to install and remove the filter.

I?m thinking the O-290 engine mount might be longer than an O-320 mount and I might just have a little bit more room behind the engine but I don?t really know.

As always think you for your very insightful comments and help!

Bill,
The angled adapter is definitely the way to go. It fits the mount for 320's and 360's from Van's for an RV-9. If it won't fit the O-290 mount then we can install a spacer between the adapter and the engine that moves the filter aft, giving more clearance to the diagonal mount support structures. The oil filter used with this angled adapter, unlike the filter used with the rear-facing adapter, has a bypass valve built into it that prevents the oil in the filter from draining while removing the filter. The key is to turn the filter upright, as soon as the filters mounting stud is separated from the oil filter adapter.
If done properly you spill maybe two ounces of oil from the filter, in fact that would be a lot. Placing a rag or towel under the adapter will catch any oil that is spilt and keep the rest of the nacelle clean. It is a way cleaner setup then the adapter that points the filter to the rear which lets the filter drain in its entirety, all over the engine and nacelle, while you are unscrewing the filter from the adapter.
Of course if that is all that will fit, the rear facing filter is still better then just the pressure screen and removing that filter isn't much messier the removing the oil screen housing to service the screen at oil change time.
BTW using a small kitchen trash bar wrapped around the rear facing oil filter adapter and filter, while removing the oil filter, will help with the mess a bit, by catching alot of the spilled oil in the bag.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Angle adapter it is.

I?ll call and order the angle adapter on Monday then and keep my fingers crossed about the spacer.

Once again, thanks for the tip!

Back