What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BBQ Run?

A300Driver

If anyone is interested in the BEST BBQ in Texas then Cooper's BBQ in Llano, TX is the place.

Llano, KAQO, is only 62 nm west of Austin and 74nm north of San Antonio and has two runways - a 4200' paved and 3200 grass (turf) strip.

My BBQ "low level light" is flickering and the flight up there ( I live in San Antonio) was fun - the airport has a free loner car and van, the strip is easy to get into/out of and last time I checked the avgas was cheap.

Leave me a message here if anyone's interested in a Saturday or Sunday BBQ run - and no, I'm not getting a kick-back from Cooper's!

Bob Richie
N9611C RV-4
1TE4, Zuehl,TX

Best BBQ???

Okay, you're fixin' to start a BBQ battle here! :eek:
Cooper's may be the best in central/south Texas (I've been there many times over the last 8 years) but we have the Hard Eight BBQ at Stephenville's Clark Field that's as good, if not better.
You don't have to drive into town. The owner of the Hard Eight leaves two golf carts (one is an extended version that seats 6 to 8) and you can follow a path off the airport and park right across the highway from them.
Or, it's only a short walk, about a half to three quarter mile, which is good for you after you've finished your bbq and their wonderful cobbler! :)
Fly in to KSEP some nice Saturday and sample it for yourself and get back to us with another report.

Mike's right on the money! After eating many meals at Hard 8, I thought I'd take the Citabria down to Llano to see what Texas' best rated BBQ would taste like. I was actually a little dissapointed. Don't get me wrong; Cooper's is good, but I think Hard 8 is better.

Another vote for Hard 8

mrreddick said:
Okay, you're fixin' to start a BBQ battle here! :eek:
Cooper's may be the best in central/south Texas (I've been there many times over the last 8 years) but we have the Hard Eight BBQ at Stephenville's Clark Field that's as good, if not better.
I agree - Hard 8 is darn good (gotta love how they serve you right from the smoker) and darn convenient. One Saturday I landed right after a family in a Beech 35 Bonanza and right ahead of a C172 instructor / student pair. All 7 of us piled onto the golf cart and off we went. I think we were slightly over MGTW ;)

Chisolm Trail in Lockhart

Another great BBQ stop is Chisholm trail BBQ in Lockhart (50R). The restaurant is about a mile North of the airport on Hwy 183. When you arrive at the airport, check out the "Plane Talk" hangar next to the flight school.

It's easy to get a ride to the restaurant.

Bobby--

We used to take T-37 students from Reese to Abilene just to go to Joe Allen's BBQ. Crew car, etc, etc, etc. I remember that place being pretty darn good & worth the trip everytime.

Of course we weren't paying for the gas :D

How's the gang down there in SA?

Joe

jferraro16 said:
Bobby--

We used to take T-37 students from Reese to Abilene just to go to Joe Allen's BBQ. Crew car, etc, etc, etc. I remember that place being pretty darn good & worth the trip everytime.

Yep, Joe Allen's is excellent as well, just not as convenient as Hard 8.

My first night x/c as a student pilot was to Hard 8. Still go back from time to time. Very unique (not every place in Texas serves it like they do) and well worth the trip. Best 2 inch thick pork chops I've ever had!

Now I'm hungry!

BBQ Battle

Lets expand this BBQ battle. There are three great places in Gainesville (GLE). You can borrow a car at the airport and go to Dieter's or the Smoke House. Both are just down the road from the airport, about one half mile. The third place is a little harder to find but well worth the effort. It is Underwoods. It is just north of the outlet mall on the service road.

While we are expanding this battle. Bob's BBQ in Ada, Oklahoma, has fantastic ribs. You can walk from the airport or call and they will come get you. While in Oklahoma, stop at the Ardmore airport and eat at the Blue Pig. It is in the terminal building so you don't have to walk very far. Their pulled pork is outstanding.

OK Texans, I think what we have here is the makings of an interesting flying weekend....we gather everybody's ideas for the best BBQ places with airports close by, and set up a little round robin - go from place to place, sampling the BBQ at each stop. Sort of like a Pub Crawl, without the alcohol... :cool:

Life's too short to eat bad BBQ - especially when you have a fast airplane! :D

Someone's gonna hafta organize it after we all get done with LOE!

Paul

Last edited:
Kansas BBQ

K81 (Miami CO) airport in eastern Kansas has a nice BBQ place just yards away from the cheap fuel pump. The basket of fries is enough for three to four people.

BBQ Run??

Okay, you've got me interested into flying up to KSEP for lunch at the Hard 8. I've never been there and I've yet to get bad advice from anyone at VAF.

How does Saturday the 21st at KSEP sound?

Weather (and approval from the wife) permiting we could meet @1130.

If this is too close to LOE we can plan for early November - I'm good either way.

Bob Richie

Last edited:
Just a little east of TX

McCall's in Goldsboro, NC is the best in my book. Just glad it's 300 miles away. If it were any closer, I'd weigh 300 pounds. NC viniger based sauce. Yum.

Mark

Tom Schad said:
Lets expand this BBQ battle. There are three great places in Gainesville (GLE). You can borrow a car at the airport and go to Dieter's or the Smoke House. Both are just down the road from the airport, about one half mile. The third place is a little harder to find but well worth the effort. It is Underwoods. It is just north of the outlet mall on the service road.
GLE still has pretty cheap 100LL, don't they? Hmmm, I think both the airplane and I might get hungry on Saturday..... ;)

A300Driver said:
Okay, you've got me interested into flying up to KSEP for lunch at the Hard 8. I've never been there and I've yet to get bad advice from anyone at VAF.

If this is too close to LOE we can plan for early November - I'm good either way.

Bob Richie
Weather permitting, I'm flying down to Wings Over Houston that weekend. Can't resist that show - I often went as a kid growing up. I have to give my father back his CTSW that weekend too - he's loaned it to me for a few weeks (thanks, Dad!)

And don't be afraid to go earlier - they open at 1030 and are busy by the time it gets to 1130 :)

Hard 8 all the way

A300Driver said:

Bob Richie

You won't be disappointed Bob! The hard 8 is one of the neatest experiences I have had in aviation. (Aside from Oshkosh!) It's one of those experiences where all parts of the journey are great....flying there, the golf cart ride to the restaurant (kind of like an expedition), being served from a smoker that is bigger than my bedroom, and then the awesome food. I'd like to see someone eat two of those pork chops!!! :eek:

Try the jalape?o sausage (provided your fresh air vents work for the flight home :eek: )

It really is a fun trip. We've made it about 10 to 15 times already

Had Cooper's, Hard 8 and even a great place on the main strip in Fredricksburg that I can't think of the name right now, but NOTHING beats the Mount Zion Baptist Church BBQ in Huntsville, Texas. Not close to the airport, and obviously closed on Sundays.

MEMPHIS, TN BBQ CAPITOL OF THE WORLD

If you want good BBQ come to Memphis. Fly in to M01 downtown. You can have your ribs wet or dry. Should you decide to come this way give me a call at 901-619-2562 for information. If I am available, I will play Chauffeur. OH! FOR YOU TEXAN'S, BBQ IS PORK NOT BEEF :D

Oh no! Now you've done it. We've morphed this into a pork bbq vs. beef bbq argument. Grab your gun and lock the door! :eek:

This thread might get moved over to the 'never ending debate section'. ;)

BTW: I like all bbq.

XA40

Not trying to change subjects but Halletsville, XA40, is having a fly-in this Saturday @ 10:30 for those interested. It's SE of SAT, N of Victoria, 2500' grass strip.

Chili, hot dogs and a tip jar.

Last edited:
Back