What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Custom Panel

While I agree that is a very nice looking ensemble in that RV-10, I'm not sure I'd jump through hoops or my wallet to get one.

There's already more than one avenue for custom molded panels for your RV's (yes, the side by side's as well), and have been for a number of years. They aren't as popular as you'd think for a number of reasons. Foremost has been cost, next has been installation, and then a whole slew of other reasons. There are actually quite a few molded glass panel flying out there in RV's, but if you ask many of the people who did it if they'd do it again, you'll get varied responses.

If I were you, I'd carefully weigh the pro's and con's to these types of panels. Remember, some benefits are only "perceived", while other benefits are real...make sure you can deliniate between the two when choosing. Function and Form almost never go hand in hand (where you desire 100% of either/both). The best is usually a compromise of each.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein.

I somewhat agree with Stien on this. While this panel looks awesome, these guys, Aerocraft Parts, are use to selling fully installed and configured panels to the Lanciar crowd for BIG bucks. If they sell just the fiberglass moulding and metal panels without avionics, that may a good start, but I think that will also be expensive.

Will see if I can get some pricing information out of them at Sun-N-Fun.

custom panel

Laird Owens makes a very nice composite panel which will fit the 6,7,and 9A.
I used Lairds panel. It was pretty easy to install and if I had left it stock it would have gone together quickly, but I had to make a few modifications and it probably added a couple of weeks to my build time but I am very happy with the end results.

Pete DeCraene
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~decraene/index.htm

Pete, where did you get the EL panel lighting from.

Larry
RV10 #40356

pdecraene7a said:
Laird Owens makes a very nice composite panel which will fit the 6,7,and 9A.
I used Lairds panel. It was pretty easy to install and if I had left it stock it would have gone together quickly, but I had to make a few modifications and it probably added a couple of weeks to my build time but I am very happy with the end results.

Pete DeCraene
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~decraene/index.htm

EL Lighting

Larry,

My EL came from aircraft extras. It is advertised as being very thin but the end where the wires attached were covered with silicon on the back side and made it difficult to lay flat. It does however make a great light for the panel. I have made several night landings and 1 cross country at night and the panel light is very bright and dims nicely to any level.

http://www.aircraftextras.com/EL-Panel1.htm

Pete DeCraene
N526PD
Leaving for Sun N Fun Thursday

pdecraene7a said:
Larry,

My EL came from aircraft extras. It is advertised as being very thin but the end where the wires attached were covered with silicon on the back side and made it difficult to lay flat. It does however make a great light for the panel. I have made several night landings and 1 cross country at night and the panel light is very bright and dims nicely to any level.

http://www.aircraftextras.com/EL-Panel1.htm

Pete DeCraene
N526PD
Leaving for Sun N Fun Thursday

Not to purposely stump here, but rather to save you money.

I stock the same stuff, only about $30.00 less! (30%). I also have been using these lights for a couple years and have yet to find anything better - just cheaper! In case you're wondering why I can sell them for so much less, it's because I buy them in HUGE lots at a time, and get quite a bit better deal than those guys do on the same lighting.

Just an FYI.

Cheers,
Stein.

P.S., correct about the attached wires, they do stick up a very little bit, probalby about 1/16" inch or less.

So I stopped by to see these guys at Sun-N-Fun and get a price out of them. I must say, even though they did not give me a concrete price (they said between $1200- $1700) and really wanted to get the business to build your ENTIRE Panel, I found it promising.

I love the wiring part of my project too much to hand it over to them, but I do think if I can get the panel and pedestal for the low end of that price range, I will get one from them. They were taking $2500 deposits at the show which supposedly would get you the panel for FREE if you had them build you a panel. I guess I still believe that nothing in life is FREE.

http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/panel/snfpanels/index.html
RV200504140018.jpg

FYI
They changed their name from Lancair Avionics to Aeroparts exactly because people (like myself) associated Lancair Avionics with $$$Pricey.

Yes, it's a simple trade-off. Get the panel for "free", then pay list price for everything you put in it, or...get discounted avionics/instruments, and pay for the panel.

Like you said, NOTHING is free. You'll pay for it one way or another.

All of us that build panels get you either way...darned capitolists!

Cheers,
Stein.

Back