What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nutplate Jigs?

RyanM

Well Known Member
Hello!

I'm looking to purchase my tool kit, and to get the best deal, and I was wondering which nutplate jigs are recommended for the entire build process? I see that these are most commonly available: #6, #8, #10. Should I get all 3, or are they all not needed?

Thanks!
Ryan

I used #6 and #8 nutplate drill jigs. Wouldn't bother with the #10 unless you're getting a good deal on a set of all 3 or something.

If you can, be sure to get the style that can drill both single and double lug nutplates.

I wouldn't bother with any platenut jigs unless you have money to burn. I've never had a problem drilling for platenuts and even used them on my baggage floors and they weren't that difficult without the jigs. If you do get only one, though, I would vote for the #8. Good luck.

They're "a nice to have"

If they come as part of a toolkit, great, but I wouldn't be afraid of building without them. I end up using a nutplate as my jig. I'm sure it takes me a little longer than if I had a jig, but it's no big deal.

It's your money and your time, of course, so do as you like. I just put those jigs on my "wish list" at Cleaveland in case my family doesn't know what to give me for Christmas. If they buy me a tie instead, I'll make do in my labor-intensive way.

Cheers,
Martin

Thanks!!

Thanks for the insight!!! I'm going to go with the #6 and #8. Like most tools I'll know in the end that it will be worth having them.

RyanM said:
Thanks for the insight!!! I'm going to go with the #6 and #8. Like most tools I'll know in the end that it will be worth having them.

The #8 can also be used for a #10 (AN3) when needed.

Cleco everything and use a #30 hole.... drill to #19 and use the nutplate jig, and then drill the center hole out to #10....

Might be a problem if it's pre-punched to #10 ... isn't a problem on my old kit.... :)

gil in Tucson

My cheap method

I took a spare nutplate of each size needed and tapped it so the screw would go in and out easily. Then I use the nutplate itself, in the slightly undersized screw hole, to be the jig for the next two holes. I tighten the screw so the nutplate won't move, drill one, put a drill bit in the hole and drill the other. The drill bit is easier to take back out and slightly larger than an uncompressed rivet. I have never used the for-sale jigs, so I don't know if this is better, but I suspect it is just as good. Just be sure to mark the thing so you don't install it anywhere.

Life's Little Pleasures....

When I started my kit, I used nutplates as jigs. I had a box of metal-working tools from an old friend who is an A&P, and he got the box from an estate sale from another old A&P.....it was several months into the project when I discovered what those strange looking tools were for (I can be a slow learner!), and ever since then, I have hated nutplates a little less. I just felt that I did a better job using the jigs - more precise, and with less fussing.

Yup, you can do the whole kit without the jigs, but for the price, they are one of those little treats that I would notbegrudge anyone to indulge in. Van's uses a huge number of nutplates in the design, and those jigs really take a little of the swearing out of the job.

Paul

I bought a #8 nutplate jig fairly late in the game. I wish I had purchased it earlier. I found it extremely helpful. Of course, I put nutplates in the floors instead of pop rivets.

But the one tool that I bought in this project that I actually found myself shouting "THIS IS COOL!" was a set of washer wrenches.

YMMV

I used nutplates as jigs to begin with. Similar to a previous post, I tapped it out a bit so a throw-away screw or bolt went in and out easily.

After a while, I notice the fished holes weren't always perfect. It seems that drilling all those holes had slightly enlarged that one nutplate I was using as a jig, so holes were no longer perfectly spaced.

I bought a #8 nutplate jig just to make the shipping expenses less than total cost for something I REALLY needed. In hindsight, I wish I had bought the nutplate jig sooner. It's so much faster!

vmirv8bldr said:
I used nutplates as jigs to begin with. Similar to a previous post, I tapped it out a bit so a throw-away screw or bolt went in and out easily.

After a while, I notice the fished holes weren't always perfect. It seems that drilling all those holes had slightly enlarged that one nutplate I was using as a jig, so holes were no longer perfectly spaced.

One way to avoid this problem is to use the actual platenut (that you'll be riveting) as the jig. That way a "jig" never gets used more than once.

Also, tapping out a platenut (or using a screw to hold the platenut) is usually not necessary. If you think ahead, wait to drill Van's #30 punched hole (or the #30 hole you drill yourself to locate a screw hole) until after the rivet holes can be drilled. That way, you can simply use a #30 cleco into the threads of the platenut holding it perfectly centered while you're drilling the legs. Once the rivet holes have been drilled, uncleco the platenut and drill the #30 hole up to full size for the screw. The only time the cleco method doesn't work is when Van's has already prepunched the screw hole full size. Rare on my -9 kit.

Just another suggestion for those people whose tool budget is not as big as others. I agree though that if money is no issue, why not buy the platenut jigs.

Last edited:
Buy the washer wrenches and the #8 platenut jig, the plate nut jig saves a lot of time, and the washer wrenches save a lot of swear words.

Do it.

There are a lot of nut plates to drill and I finally bought the set of three from Avery. All I can say is I didn?t get them soon enough, they are the only way to go. Anybody say?s any different just hasn?t used em.

Rivethead said:
There are a lot of nut plates to drill and I finally bought the set of three from Avery. All I can say is I didn?t get them soon enough, they are the only way to go. Anybody say?s any different just hasn?t used em.
Just to be contrary :D, I've used them and they are nice, but I still think the way I describe about two posts above is just as easy and accurate. Again, if you're building with an unlimited budget, get them. If not, you're not going to lose much time, if any, but you will save a fair amount of money. That comes from someone who nutplated the entire baggage area and someone who still has dreams of sending his kids to college someday and maybe buying his wife a nice anniversary present :D That said, always seeming to "need" new tools is one of the insidious aspects of this hobby! Unfortunately, I can relate to that! :eek:

Hope this is helpful to someone who's is at the collecting tools stage and trying to stretch the budget.

Last edited:
Jigs are good

I don't disagree with Steve too often (well, he's building a 9 and I'm building a 7A) but I do on this one. Using a nut plate as opposed to a jig is like going from un sliced bread to sliced bread. I can make my sandwiches much more quickly and accurately with sliced bread.

Get the dual styles for those corner anchor nuts. These are most definitely easier with a jig. Clecos, fingers and drills all seem to need to occupy the same space at the same time.

Jekyll

Jekyll said:
Clecos, fingers and drills all seem to need to occupy the same space at the same time.Jekyll
I agree here, that things can get a bit crowded sometimes, if you are going to use the platenut as the jig. One thing that seems to help is a longer #40 drill bit so that the cleco can hold the platenut from the same side that you are drilling. The longer drill bit helps the drill chuck avoid hitting the cleco.

That said, I'm just smart enough to know that I'm not going to win this "save money vs. buy new tool" argument, so I'll just give up! Spend away and enjoy drilling! :D

(Also, to argue against my original $$$ point a little, the one thing about tools like this is... although they do cost a fair amount, they can usually be sold for not much less once you're done drilling the majority of the holes.)

BTW, Jekyll, enjoy your structurally uniform, accurately built sandwiches! I like the analogy! Kind of funny! :D

Last edited:
Back