What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HSI

N941WR

Legacy Member
In the new EAA Sport Pilot there is a Dynon ad depicting how the Dynon HSI function looks when connected to a GPS and to an SL30. :)

With an SL30 connected it gives you the HS w/ Glide slope and with a GPS attached it just gives you the parallel bar CDI.

I check the Dynon site this morning and couldn't find a picture of these displays. :(

Very nice software upgrade and it makes me wonder how far away a HITS display will be.

HSI

Dynon has posted a few pics on the new firmware on their forum. I think someone copied them here as well a while back.

They have not released the new firmware yet but they keep saying that it is very close.

Connecting both GPS and SL-30

Wonder if you can connect both the SL-30 and GPS to the Dynon and switch the HSI between the two.

You can hook both the GPS and SL-30 to the system at the same time and switch between them. If you only have an EFIS-D100 or EFIS-D10A, you need to do this with an external switch. If you have two Dynon products or a FlightDEK-D180, you can hook both up and switch with the buttons on the EFIS.

We posted screen shots in a thread on our support form a while ago:
http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1153762479/15#29

These are even better now since we can display bearing pointers as well.

We're flight testing the software this week and if no problems are found it will be out very soon.

mikehoover said:
Wonder if you can connect both the SL-30 and GPS to the Dynon and switch the HSI between the two.

Visit the dynon forum--under the EFIS section under Oshkosh Announcements they address this and have pictures. Here's the link-- Dynon HSI . Post #29 shows pictures, the HSI changes colors depending on whether the source of Nav info is from the SL-30 or from a GPS. Post #33 has more detail about how to connect everything. If you use their dual EFIS/EMS (D180) you can switch between nav sources with a button push, if you have just the EFIS it sounds like you create an external switch.
Mike

OK dumb question

why can't the GNS430 be connected to the EFIS D100 and show both HS and GS????

Or can it?...I don't have an SL30

Frank

That's not a dumb question, Dynon addressed it on their forum here.

That thread has tons of information about their EFIS.

frankh said:
why can't the GNS430 be connected to the EFIS D100 and show both HS and GS????

Or can it?...I don't have an SL30

Frank

Just to answer the question here:

The SL-30 is the only NAV radio that we know of that has RS-232 serial output for the NAV data.

The Garmin 430 will output some GPS data over serial, but the NAV data and vertical GPS data requires ARINC-429 or an analog syncro interface. We don't have the hardware to support that inside the EFIS.

Back