What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

496 upgrade from 396, is it worthwhile?

Walt

Well Known Member
I currenty have the 396 and really enjoy it's features and am considering upgrading to the 496. I especially like the expanded data base of private airports but not sure if it's really worth it. Appreciate any comments from folks that may have used both and can give an opinion on their relative merits.

I've used both, and I don't think I could go back to the 396 now if I tried. The terrain granularity alone is worth it, let alone the AOPA database, and like you mentioned -- private airports. SmartTaxi kicks butt as well. I've used it numerous times now at large, unfamiliar airports. Don't think I'll ever need to ask for "progressive, if able" again.

When I first started using SmartAirspace on the 496, I wasn't a fan of it since it seemed to "obscure" stuff that I thought I might want to know about. But now I'm addicted to that feature as well.

hecilopter said:
I think you need the 496! Let me know if you decide to sell. :)

I've been thinking about the change. You can find my e-mail on the website in my signature.

I'm tradin up so 396 is for sale, $1800.

I can trade it in for $1800 against the 496 or I will offer locally (TX, OK) for the same amount, will deliver to your airport personally for a cash deal.

Back