What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Seat F-443 / F407

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I am struggling to understand which bit of the rear seat rests against the F-407 bulkhead to take the load. Surely not the fiberglass top. I havnt got a clear idea of what I am trying to achieve. Words or a picture would be a great help.

Thanks,

If you look at the print real close you can see that the fiberglass top angles so that the whole thing is resting in the 407...when that happens it allows more of the seat base itself to rest against the 407....i also cut an angle in my seat frame to allow it to rest even more against the 407....hope this helps....I weigh 230 and it supports me well....thx,todd

Rear seat back.

My old RV-3 seat back failed. The seat back would fall through the openning. The fix was simple, re-enforce the sides of the seats and the bulkhead. There's a similar RV-4 CN for the bulkhead, which is incorprated into the plans already. I basically did the same to my RV-4.

To answer your question, the points that takes the loads are the cornders where the top arch intersects the verticals. the side-rails of the seat-back touch there. The top of the seat-rails for a "tab" there. That tab really isn't enough to properly take the load of a 200lb passenger under 4Gs (or 6 for an RV-3). I simply doubled it right there with a small bent piece of 0.032.

-Bruce

Back