What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EIS Fuel Flow sensor replaces Float Sender?

flybill7

Well Known Member
As I bent the wires in my float type senders, I'm wondering whether these relatively heavy sender units are necessary since I'm going with a Dynon EIS with the fuel flow sensor? Anybody with an EIS system not use the capacitive or float type senders. Obviously you'd have to cover the opening where the sender goes.

Thoughts, comments?

Decessions

How much do you trust hi-tech electronics??

If the Dynon acts up in flight, and you do a re-set to fix it, will it remember the previous fuel reading??

Do you believe in system redundency??

Mike

Last edited:
flybill7 said:
As I bent the wires in my float type senders, I'm wondering whether these relatively heavy sender units are necessary since I'm going with a Dynon EIS with the fuel flow sensor? Anybody with an EIS system not use the capacitive or float type senders. Obviously you'd have to cover the opening where the sender goes.

Thoughts, comments?

The EIS fuel flow sensor does not know which tank the fuel is coming from. It knows only total fuel on board, not where it is.

You should keep and use the float senders.

dd

Before someone else points it out...FAR 91.205 pertains to Standard Category Aircraft. That being said, your operating limitations will point out that you will be limiited to DAY VFR unless equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with FAR 91.205.
Bottom line...FAR 91.205 DOES apply for night/IFR operations of amateur-built aircraft.
Bottom bottom line...Put them in. It's much better to have them and not need them than the other way around.

The EMS units store the fuel amount into memory every few minutes. They won't forget the amount you have even if they loose power for 10 years.

But as was pointed out, you should still have the floats. They're backup to the flow in case you forget to set it right, they tell you if you have a leak in front of the flow sensor, and they tell you how much is in each tank.

The Dynon EMS units calibrate to the floats in your tanks as well, so the reading is much more accurate than most other airplanes that you may have flown.

Back